spread the word: the mac is a business computer

That pretty much sums up what we've all known for years... if only Apple would tell the world! (put me in charge of Apple marketing for a day and I'll sort it out!) ;)

My father's company (which is manufacturing-related, not visual arts or any other traditional type of Mac shop) now runs on 6 Macs, and has used nothing but Macs since 1985.

Prior to the first Mac, it ran on a Commodore 64, running the "Multiplan" spreadsheet... :eek: :confused:

My business has only Macs. Guess what? I have never needed IT people. Perhaps this is why the windows people don't like Mac's. Nothing to fix = no job!

Many businesses buy low end PCs just to run MS Office and get on the Internet. Even an eMac at $799 + office is too much.

Here is what Apple needs to grab market share:

Mac Cube form factor, new IBM G3 w/altivec 1GHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB HDD, CD-ROM, VGA port, 2 USB, 1FW, 10/100 Ethernet, Speaker port, MacOS X (10.3)
- NO Appleworks, NO iLife, NO Games, NO Modem, NO Extras.

Price it at $499 ($699 with MS Office OEM Preloaded).

Call it the Apple iStation. Market it directly to businesses as a stable, virus-free platform to run Microsoft Office and get on the Internet.

TWRayer said:
- NO Appleworks, NO iLife, NO Games, NO Extras...

Yes, by all means, kick the modem into touch, but given it wouldn't cost Apple another penny to install the others, I'd leave them on.

After all, I _need_ iTunes when I'm working just to keep me sane!..

I work for a school, not as a IT guy. We have all Macintosh school. Our labs run smoothy compared to the Windows labs. Less network, printing problems. These are older Imacs. My school last year had PCs, it was a mess, the internet was hit-or-miss, and the same for printing.

I work for a medium sized business, about 1500 emplyees in the UK and a hundred in the States and Asia. Its publishing, so naturally theres are about 40% Macs, with 60% PC for the sales staff. To be honest we do Trade Magazines (e.g. Electroplating Today) so we're nominally a publishing company, as 85-90% of content is job advertising - you can tell as very few of our designers have the first clue how to use their Macs beyond Photoshop and Quark, and even then they're no heroes.
We're now getting in these Dell GX260 (2.6ghz) with 15" flatscreens, and once we've put access restrictions and reg checkers and open-directory bollocks and remote control software they run like dogs. But we have to as we've ploughed 100s of thousands into a computer-to-plate app that runs everything starting from sales call to flatplan layout to bulk discount to press, and is PC only. The sad thing is the whole shebang would run twice as fast and would have been half the price and multi-platform if they'd made it browser-based.
The dells come in at over £500 even with corporate discount, but the operating system and support cost ramps this right up. Our MS server Macintosh Services crash daily, to the point where our magazines are keeping whole about-to-be-printed magazines on a single HD in the week before press-day so that they can guarantee being able to get their Quark files. Guess what happens when one of the HDs dies.
With the cost of replacement servers, astronomical overtime charges for overnight weekend rebuilds, we could have bought XRaids and run the Mac services from that. Don't even start me on Microsoft Outlook with Exchange Server 2000 as an 'enterpise solution'. Took them three years to admit mail-filtering didnt work.
If a Mac ever dies, its up again in less than an hour thanks to Images, Norton and grown-up system design. If a PC dies I have to lend one out and if I'm lucky I can just Ghost an image back on, and then spend an hour configuring it, at a total of two and a half hours minimum - but usually I can't Ghost it and someone loses a day.
We're just throwing good money after bad with Microsoft.

MS in Enterprise is a complete joke. Our MS Exchange server dies at least once a week, and in the past 2 days, has died 3 times. I have had an OS X server running constant for 80 days before the power went out.

Captain Code said:
I have had an OS X server running constant for 80 days before the power went out.

Pah! Bloody amateur! :p

Didn't feel flush enough to buy a decent UPS, then? ;)

Get a APS Back-UPS Pro 1000 like mine. A huge beige truck battery it may be, but it certainly keeps me going when the lights are out...

Back