Stability issues in 10.1.4?

hazmat

Rusher of Din
Anyone else finding stability problems? Not sure if it is OS X 10.1.4 or the IE 5.1.4 update, but I find that I get more color wheels and even everything freezing for a bit. Not often, but it's happened a few times. Very irritating. Are they putting OS 9 code into OS X?!? :)

Me neither... I've had a 'no-wake-up-after-sleep' on my TiBook, though. Those are bad, because when I return after an hour and my TiBook doesn't wake up (well, it actually does, but there's no light...) I don't always remember which files were open/changed without saving... But I've had those before, sometimes, so I don't think this is 10.1.4 related.

So far 10.1.4 has been great for me! It no longer has PPP connection issues on my iBook, and just that alone is worth the update. Also, I noticed that accessing large directories is a little bit faster. And over all I seem to get less color wheels. Granted, I've been using 10.1.4 for only a few hours so far, so my perception can change.

-B

Hello.

.4 seems a bit faster, especially the menus and loading directories. I've got to say that I haven't seen the spinning color wheel very much at all since using speed disk from Norton Utilities. Eight months of use really fragmented the hard drive on my 500 mHz iBook.

Norton 7 is worthwhile.

Doug Trickey
Eaton Rapids, MI

Yeah, 10.1.4 fixed my PPP. I haven't had your problem, but I hear from a friend who use IE that that's the problem. The latest IE isn't the best...
Might I suggest trying iCab, OmniWeb or Mozilla?

No. :) I've used all of them except for iCab. OmniWeb, though very nice and Cocoa, is too unstable for me, and chokes too easily on things like Javascript. It crashes a lot. Mozilla is really nice, and this latest 1.0 RC1 very nice, but I still have certain issues with Mozilla. Not Ed's though. :) Functionality. IE still works best for me overall, though really needs some serious work. So incomplete. I am really hopeful for Chimera. But I will try Mozilla for a while and see how it works. Sure is a hell of a lot faster than IE.

I've noticed since I installed 10.1.4 that my display never sleeps. Can't certainly correlate that to the update though, just an interesting coincidence perhaps, or maybe my Graphire2 is making my cursor jump around a little when the mouse is still (yeah I've tried just taking the mouse off the tablet ;)

have you checked your Energy Saver in Preferences?
also check in sherlock and turn of Indexing .
sometimes i would be working on somthing and it would freez
for about a min. then i found that my hard drive was being
Indexed! by sherlock
this just might be your prob.

Back