STORY: Freeipods.com Investigation Results

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
When I first saw word of the freeipods.com gimmick, it reminded me much of a site, the name escapes me, but it was a raffle for various Macintosh products including iPods. You buy one of x number of tickets in hopes of getting a nice new Apple product. Although iPod's are much cheaper than say even an iMac, the thought of winning an Apple product definitely turns heads, especially this Mac geek.

If it hadn't been for the few articles from Wired and other sources I probably would have quickly discounted the site and never gave it a second thought. However, still not a sucker for such sites I decided to test it out for myself, another person's view on the matter.

On September 8, I registered with freeipods.com and took advantage of one of the offers, which happen to be the Netscape Internet service. The first month was free and $9.95/month thereafter. I figured worst case I'd pay $9.95 and a small price to pay for a $299 iPod. Next, I was required to devise a scheme to convince five other people to do the exact same thing. For some people, they might think it's an easy task to get five people, but not so fast slick. It is an uphill battle.

Since I was doing this investigation for the community I decided to call upon the community to help out. The response was pretty good. During the first two weeks, nearly twenty-five people signed up, but only two people completed any offers. Since registrations where stale and nothing moved for a week or so, I decided that freeipods.com had probably did me like they have many others, I felt duped. I had signed up, two others had signed up, three people total, no iPod, and you go on.

Then one day, one of those who registered contacted me and said it had been nearly fifteen days, they had completed an offer but had not got credit for it. I advised they should contact freeipods.com to get it cleared up. Within a day of contacting them, they now had credit and I was at three. I should note here that when I signed up for the Netscape service, my credit showed up the next day to my surprise.

Over half way to the goal and thinking that possibly a story remains I decided to list the call for volunteers to help out and see if we could do a complete story on freeipods.com. Five more people, totaling thirty, signed up and of those five, two completed offers. I was at my goal. I was rather excited non-the-less.

The next process was quick yet a little disheartening. Now that I had five folks who completed offers and I had my own completed offer, I figured it was just a matter of them sending it to me. However, I now had to submit myself to be subjected to a review of my account, those who I had referred and those who I referred, and who they had referred. Not really sure what all that mean, I put in my request. They advised it would be around five business days to complete, which only took three days. By this time, I'm thinking, how many hoops do I have to jump through now? The good news is I passed the review and now I could place my order.

I placed my order for the new 20GB iPod, I didn't really figure there was a choice. I had only recently owned on iPod that was a hand-me-down from a friend who had got a new iPod and opted to "pay" me for some technical service with the iPod instead of cash. It was a second generation iPod and was a good way to see if indeed I'd even use one. The verdict in that situation, I was sold.

Once I placed my order, it took around five days before the status changed on Oct 15 that it was sent to the vendor, waiting on the product. I have no idea if I will get it in the next two weeks or the next two years. I'll keep you posted.

The one thing I was disappointed in, but I understand their reasoning is they never notify you that you reach any milestones. For example, once I had five people, they never notified me. When I had completed my review process, they never notified me. They did send me two emails, one which I registered to verify my email address and another to confirm my order with them for the free iPod. Of course, I did get other emails, many more emails, in the spam bucket after signing up. Although I can't pinpoint it to them exactly, it was a rather odd coincidence.

All in all, if they deliver the iPod, all I can say is that they are legit and thank all of those who did participate. I did forget to cancel my Netscape subscription, so I did end up paying $9.95 for the iPod. But it is now canceled.

UPDATE:

Well, on November 11th freeipods.com notified me free iPod had shipped. Although, I was busy with other things and didn't see the email. On Friday, Nov 12, I found a knock at my door and it was the FedEx man. I wasn't expecting him, but I knew exactly what it was when I opened the door.

Another success story for freeipods.com. Yes, many people still disagree with what they are doing and their methods, but the real question I wanted to know, is this site reputable, do they actually deliver?

YES.

Pictures: http://demo.macosx.com/gallery/freeipod

If you get an iPod out of this, I'm signing up tomorrow. I guess the moral is buyer beware: take matters into your own hands, and when you know you've got the required 5, shoot them an email and get things moving yourself. The slowest part of the process is the slowest part -- don't be the slowest part, and things should move along nicely...

Great info... thanks!

Yay?...

i figure it is too late to do this and many people will be left at the end trying to see if they can get more people so sign up (but are unsuccessful because of lack of popularity)

but i am glad you got a $10 iPod :)

Guys,

Some years ago, as a young, unemployed and nearly unemployable college graduate, I was taken in by two different pyramid (ahem - 'network marketing') schemes. I lost a lot of friends (one of the few sources of capital, in the broadest sense, I had then), most of the little money I had, and most of all, my self-respect.

Please refer to this URL: http://www.uglx.org/scam2

Save yourselves from embarrassment. Please. ::love::

Eh... as one who is even suspicious of coupons, I view deals like freeipods.com as a gimic that simply won't last. The reason? People do not want what freeipods.com is selling. That is, spam.

As demonstrated by ScottW, it is possible to get a great deal, but there is no way that freeipods.com is going to last based on this business model.

The same principal can be applied in the case of a trade show free drawing. Let's just say I'm at an industrial trade show and, in order to get names, I host a drawing for a free TV. I may get hundreds or thousands of names, but what does that prove? It proves that those hundreds or thousands want a free TV, and not necessarily interested at all in your industrial products for sale.

MDLarson said:
It proves that those hundreds or thousands want a free TV, and not necessarily interested at all in your industrial products for sale.
What you are doing is paying for a way to get in contact with customers. Maybe 95% of them absolutely don't want what you're selling. Maybe 4% are only slightly interested and maybe 1% are generally interested in your product. The business model works because even if you only get that 1% you are still getting customers and developing a consumer base.

mightyjlr said:
What you are doing is paying for a way to get in contact with customers. Maybe 95% of them absolutely don't want what you're selling. Maybe 4% are only slightly interested and maybe 1% are generally interested in your product. The business model works because even if you only get that 1% you are still getting customers and developing a consumer base.
Ehhh... I suppose so. It seems so horribly inefficient to me though. I think I must be extremely conservative with my money... :)

I'm not sure how many of the respondents after my first post actually have read the article I referred to.

The point is kind of like the Golden Rule: Do unto others what you want them... You know the rest.

It seems to me that if we were all really so upset about spam, shady marketing, etc., we wouldn't willingly participate in it. Which is exactly what we are doing if we participate in freeipods.com, right? Even if a few of us get a great deal, we're only doing that while disappointing 100's of people who could never have possibly received the deal we got. Despite advertizing the contrary. It's dishonest, people. STOP. NOW.

BTW, the comparison to a free drawing at a trade show is not exactly accurate. Everyone at the trade show knows that only one lucky person will get that TV. But freeipods.com advertizes that everyone who participates will get a free iPod, right? That's simply dishonest.

Okay, enough of my soapbox. Please don't flame me - as I originally noted, I've learned this lesson the hard way - by losing money, friends, and self-respect.

Apple should make different colored iPods....that would be so awesome...i wonder if the "U2 Special Edition" iPod is a way for Apple to test that sort of thing out...even though Im sure most consumers would fancy having the color option anyway..

Ugh, and destroy the brand awareness they've achieved with the white iPod? I say: Go with white for at least two more years. But why change the winning design without a functional need? That being said: I'd still like an aluminum iPod that matches my PowerBook. ;) And no, i don't want a mini, I'm rather the maxi-type of iPod user.

You know, since your time is valuable, I would say that the iPod has been a monumental waste of your time. Let's say you get paid $60/hr for your technical consulting (just a round figure). It sounds like you spent at least several days (if not weeks?!) working to get your 5 people and also communicating with freeipods.

Let's do the math: 3 days @ 8 hrs = 24 hrs x 60 = $1440.
At a bare bones rate of $20/hr = 3 days @ 8 hrs = 24hrs x 20 = $480 you barely break even.

I think even though the program is "legit" they aren't paying you nearly enough by having you do their sales/recruitment for them at $20/hr because you are clearly worth more than that.

It's a legal pyramid scheme.

Back