Strange resolution problem

Kris

Registered
I re-installed OS X, all the way from 10.1 to 10.1.4. During the 10.1.2 installation a strange error occured at the very end. It could not find a file or something, but no name or error was actually listed. I had to force a restart, and I was prepared to install it again, but installing 10.1.3 went totally alright. No errors at all.

But now I'm stuck with this:
When I start OS X, and the login panel appears, the resolution is suddenly set to 800x600, which is pretty annyoing, since this is not the resolution I have chosen. I can login without any problems, and then the resultion goes back to normal. But during the "switch process" the screen gets messed up. The loginpanel is moved to the right, and the background is mix of mine and the one during the login. It all works alright, but it's obvious there's something wrong somewhere.

Anyone had the same problem, or know how it can be fixed?

Kris

Thank you for your suggestions.

Originally posted by testuser
"You might have some luck logging in as the root user (it needs to be enabled first using NetInfo Manager)"
Enable root? I don't think that's a good idea.. I did that once, but realised it wasn't such a great idea afterall. There must be another way to fix it...

"p.s. Nice title; I suppose you and your friends could be called "unix chix"."
Thanks! :)

Kris

Thank you for replying. Seems like I've still got a lot of things to learn.. :)

I tried it, but the problem is still there. root's resolution was normal. Seems to me there's a bug somewhere, and that maybe a re-install is the only this that's going to help... :(

But.. isn't my computer all in-secure now? Haven't I opened up the security holes?

Kris

Where exactly northern europe, Kris??? :confused: :) :) :)

It's not a bug, Kris!
Just log in as root user or (if you can) as the normal user, open preferences/users create a new User (Save your Data first) and delete the old one. Some people reported this problem. But it is just a mistake in the updating process! Not a big deal. :D ;)

I'm not sure but if you can still see the old user folder you can delete it by loging in as root! :)

Changing the resolutions for root doesnt work because the preferences are stored for every user seperately! :)
;)

*sigh*

First; Thank you for your suggestions. :)

But the problem is still there... I tried nearly all of your suggestions, besides Alexandert's of deleting my user, and creating a new one. I doubt that would solve anything.
So a re-install is just around the corner. But if this happends again when I re-install..

My country is left out on purpose. :p

Kris

Back