Streamlining 9!

rizencreative

Registered
I am looking for insight into streamlining System 9 within X. What I would like information on, is what I can get rid of extention , control panel wise and still have a functioning OS 9 to run Quark XPress. I seem to recall reading an article in MacWorld some time ago about this. Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Long Live X - May QuarkXPress pick up the pace or move on to a pasture to die, Either way communicate with your followers.

Long Live X - May rizencreative pick up the pace and switch to Adobe InDesign, you already switched to X

To answer your question. Get another HD or partition temporarily. Install the entire OS 9.2.2 on that partition. Do a custom install and check off everything. Burn that partition to CD. Then format it and install OS 9.2.2 again. This time do a custom install and check off the absolute minimum components...i think you just need to check the first one...required system or something. When you find that you need an extension or control panel or application put in the CD that you burned and grab it off of there.

I believe Quark has all of its necessary extensions in its own extensions folder.

By the way, have you used Quark 5 much? You do get tables, but there are intermittent pauses that really disturb my work flow. Every 3 minutes or so the whole computer pauses twice (in Mac OS 9.1) with a 5 second interval between two 10 second pauses. It gets VERY annoying especially when you are executing a particulary intricate clipping path.

Back to your question...

Not that I could write a verbatim here, but David Pogues' "OS X: The Missing Manual" has a whole section on what you can turn off and ditch in classic startup. I just read it last night and I am going home in an hour to finish throwing out stuff I don't need.

Beyond that, his book is really awesome for getting to know OS X in depth. Check Amazon if you get it, I think I saw it there for $17, which is just about 1/2 of what I paid for it at Barnes & Noble....Oh well, that'll teach to me shop in a real store again.

Eddie

Vard is right. And the book is well worth the cost. If you can't afford it right now, let me know. I'll give you the recommendations in streamlining Classic.

There is no need for a second drive unless you need the room.

Thanks Cheryl. I would have to agree on the notion of another hard drive. I think this is a simple fix and if David Pouges books really hits on all cylinders regarding streamlining OS 9, the book is as good as mine.

Thanks for your feedback.

Back