Suddenly my file icons are acting very bizzare!

antonioconte

Registered
Suddenly my file icons are acting very bizzare!

Basically, if I have a photoshop file or a gif file from imageready, one minute it shows up as an Opera file, the next minute something else, the next minute another different icon????

Yea that happens from time to time. Normal occurrence on my work machine. Not sure if it's because of Shapeshifter, or CandyBar or some other wired thing. Try restarting the finder, or the computer, if it really bugs you.

twister said:
Yea that happens from time to time. Normal occurrence on my work machine. Not sure if it's because of Shapeshifter, or CandyBar or some other wired thing. Try restarting the finder, or the computer, if it really bugs you.

Oh right, will do, but I thought I might have some kind of seroius problem. I don't use Shapeshifer or Candybar

Not sure what it is then. But my icons have a tendency to change at times to the wrong icons too.

happens to me too from time to time, without any icon hacks. "killall Finder" in terminal always helps.

This bug has been around for quite a while. Not sure what exact version of OS X I first noticed it, but it's been a couple of years. Maybe it's been there all along, I can't say. I've never been able to track the problem to a specific source. My next computer will be a barebones install only, no shareware, only mission critical apps, so I'll be curious to see if it persists.

I had hoped that Panther would fix it, but nope. For me it seems to get progressively worse over time. But that may just be my imagination.

I have to say it seems absurd that they can get OS X to do such amazing things, but they can't consistently track a simple icon. It's not generally a big deal, but occasionally you can go on wild goose hunts thinking folders are files and such.

C'mon Apple, let's get this cleaned up once and for all.

Back