SUPER fast broadband

First the good...

Scientists in California are working on a fast new Internet connection system that could enable an entire movie to be downloaded in a matter of seconds. When the researchers tested 10 Fast TCP systems together it boosted the speed to more than 6,000 times the capacity of the ordinary broadband links.

Now the bad...

Caltech is already in talks with Microsoft and Disney about using it for video on demand

Apple better get their asses in those talks too...

does it run on normal connections? or would isp's have to completely rebuild their infrastructure? sounds tight

Oh dude thats such crap!!! Oh man. That has monopoly written all over it. I hope the worlds decent companies can get some damn good lawyers and sue them back to... well, wherever they came from.

Originally posted by thisbechuck
Oh dude thats such crap!!! Oh man. That has monopoly written all over it. I hope the worlds decent companies can get some damn good lawyers and sue them back to... well, wherever they came from.

hell?

huh...
However, patent rights aren't inviolable. If another company (either through their defense of an infringement suit filed by Microsoft, or by filing a suit of their own) can prove that the "inventions" claimed by Microsoft have in fact been done before or are "obvious" to someone with standard technical knowledge, then Microsoft's patent could be invalidated by a court.
http://www.embeddedwatch.com/wolfem...lusivemay31.htm
has anyone ever ordered payperview? exact same thing! "video on demand!" i thought patents were for new inventions :^)

hmm... I suppose they might argue for online distribution. Its where you draw the line really. You know that a blood sucking company like Microsoft has gotta have some pretty good blood-sucking lawyers. But really... if Apple, MGM, dreamworks, WB, pixar, and whoever else who would be potentially into this were to get along and pool some money, I'm sure they could beat M$. It seems obvious to me that as soon as other companies get into the field there will be tons of monopoly suits as well. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Dell no. :(

I start to boycott Disney products right now. Nemo was the last thing i found, but at least it was Pixar.

None of that $h!t to my mac, even if i had a superfast net (which i don't). Viva independent movies and movie makers! And die region coded dvds, die!

Originally posted by Giaguara
And die region coded dvds, die!

Yeah, I could never understand why they ever made DVD's only work in certain regions...but Im sure there was some good reasoning behind it.

But anywho, I don't hate Microsoft for it's products, I hate how it always attempts to monopolize in EVERYTHING. And video on demand? Im sure thats cool and all, but I dont really care about that. Thank God a company like Apple exsists, a company who actually INNOVATES! (not that others don't):D :p

Stridder: I think it was to prevent the distribution of certain movies to certain regions before they were officially released there. Why, I have no clue.

Anyway, this whole thing sounds like a lot of flop huey. In typical Microsoft fashion, they made it plenty hard to understand, so I'm not even sure what they're trying to do differently here. I wonder how many people are going to switch from their current pay-per-view system to a new, more complicated it seems, video on demand scheme.

Back to the original topic: What about all the optical connection stuff, like OC3? When is that (and faster) coming to the masses?

Well, GEMSTAR supposedly has a patent for any type of onscreen browse-able listing that you navigate with a remote...and TiVo supposedly has a patent on any type of "trick play" features (ie: pausing,Rew live TV)...

I'm not too worried about this...

I've never ordered ppv and I see myself as even less likely to order any kind of video on demand over my computer. For one thing I'd rather watch movies on my big tv, sitting on my couch as opposed to on my 17" monitor sitting at my desk. For another its easier to just go to the vid store and rent DVDs or VHS. Cheaper too.

Originally posted by arden
Back to the original topic: What about all the optical connection stuff, like OC3? When is that (and faster) coming to the masses?

Yeah, details! Im curious too about this new connection...:D

Here's 2 links with info on the Fast TCP protocol
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...u=/nm/20030604/tc_nm/technology_internet_dc_3
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993799

The second link provides more information.

The way they explain it, it seems that it will just have less overhead than normal TCP. Meaning, instead of having a 3Mbit connection and only getting 2.8Mbit real world throughput, you might 2.9 or 2.95Mbit because of the way the Fast TCP protocol works.

It will continually blast data through your connection as fast as it can, and more efficiently than normal TCP.

This is all according to that article of course, I have no other info.

Originally posted by Stridder44
Yeah, I could never understand why they ever made DVD's only work in certain regions...but Im sure there was some good reasoning behind it.

Like movie industry and their money. :confused:

In US e.g. 20th century fox can have the rights to a movie that will be 'owned' by technicolor in US, and by other companies in other countries. And the movies ALWAYS come out so much later in Europe - sometimes the movies are on dvd (official) release here before out in Europe. The movie industry was afraid they would lose their rights ... or that the poor europeans could see the movies before? or that instead of your country's police warning you might see the fbi's annoying piracy warnings. :rolleyes:

Blame the movie industry anyway. :mad:

Back