Switchers

I think there has been a thread like this before...

I "switched" to Mac way back in like 1991 when my parents bought a IIsi. Of course, I was 6 at the time, and the only switch I was really making was from an Apple II.

Ehm, Arden: I'm asking this question to people who have switched in this year. You're talking about switching 12 years ago...

i switched :)
this 4 months ago, i love my powerbook g4 500, was not too happy about the speed, but i love the OS X. Then i read in the forums here " the best mac site" to format in HFS+ instead of UFS, and voila, awesome... I LOVE MY MAC. comming from the WinDoze, and Linux world, it is so refreashing to have a computer work, and no popups, :)
Now i am looking for a used G4 Cube, might even buy a new 15" PB when the new models come out.

I guess I switched although I just use both now. Other than a rough start out of the box (OS X had a bad install and I had no idea how to format the thing) and a key falling off the keyboard (going to get that fixed today) I quite like the Mac. Speed is not to bad but it bugs me to no end that resizing the windows is choppy.

I have a 12" PB.

Tony

The one with the + and = sign. What is really sad is that I have never even used it. Just looked down the other day and it was raised and twisted. Now they have to replace the whole keyboard.

us mac users should draft a plan to turn all the pc users in the world toward the light... we could all donate five dollars to a research fund to trick pc users into switching, thus launching apple into a 95% marketshare :^) apple could really get movin with development if they made the billion dollar profits that microsoft and all the pc computer suppliers make yearly :^)

true, BUT, if apple was like that the mac would be full of crappy apps, and no better then a pee cee, i like the way mac is, :)

I think alot of people are like me. I wanted a Mac since I began using PC's in the 80's, but always had access to a PC and did not have any reason to buy a new comp. I always got one for free from work, upgraded, or whatever. In 1997 I bought a VAIO laptop but wanted a Mac then but could not see paying the diff. Mine was only $1400 for a then fully loaded laptop. When OS X came out I really became intrested in Mac but once again did not need a new comp. 6 months ago I bought a fully loaded Tower PC for really cheap to use for games and a server. Mac Towers were to much. A month ago I needed a new laptop and got to looking and just happened to go to Apple.com and the price was right. My dream of owning a Mac had come true.

Most people just do not know that Apple is an option. Best Buy, Wal-mart, and most other stores do not carry them. The power users are not going to switch any time soon. Most of them just got done switching to the PC not too many years ago.

At this point the average user is comfy with what they have and there is no real reason to upgrade or have to learn a new computer. It is the average person that makes the money for these companies, and the average person sees no reason to switch from what they have and know, not to mention the software that will not run on the other machine.

I'm *going* to switch at the end of the summer. Being a design student, I'm looking at either an iBook or a 12" PowerBook (if the PB price drops to below $1500 after MacWorld).

I'll still use my PC for gaming, but I plan to use the Mac for everything important. :)

If Apple had the marketshare that Microsoft has, they would not be as inclined to innovate and would probably revert to buying others out, much like Microsoft does now. (Yeah, yeah, I know, they still buy people out, but not like Microsoft.)

My friends (3 of them) were all pretty hardcore Mac and I pretty hardcore Windows a few years ago. I hated OS9 (still do for the most part) to the extent that I'd conciously avoid it. Anyway, OSX came out-my friend got a new DP800mhz system with Apple 15" LCD and I fell in love with Apple.

I was sort of waiting for a good reason to switch and then the new iMacs came out last winter. I ordered the very day they were announced :D

The switchers I mean?

Anyways, for those who replied welcome to the Dark Side of the Force... :p

I'm trying to be funny of course! Truly welcome and I hope that you will enjoy the Mac Side of the things and if you have ANY problems let us know ASAP!

Welcome! :D ;)

:)

arden..

i don't think that is true. When they were at the top they worked tirelessly to build the Macintosh. But when certain management took over it went to the crapper.

Besides, your forgetting that Apple thinks different. They want to make this Digital Hub work and they have the best user interface around. About 40% would be reasonable and still wouldn't make them a monopoly.

Even if they don't get a good marketshare at least they are improving their system every year unlike Microsoft.

Oh and my Dad's printer switched to Mac OS X in January. =)

Well, my 900MHz iBook just shipped from the factory, so I can't say how the switch went quite yet =P

/GulGnu

When it came to operating systems and hardware, I suppose I have used nearly all of them except an sgi machine (hoping to get one on ebay soon!) I like x86 hardware, it is cheap, easy to run if you know what you are doing and best of all at the moment x86 is blisteringly fast and only getting faster. I have friends working in cg modelling and they swear by x86 purely for the speed. Personally I own a couple of X86 based linux and windows machines. I don't use them that much anymore as I'm now a teacher:D and I don't have to worry about render times and stuff. I like to do cg modelling as a hobby and I use my powermac for that purely because I love os x. I genuinely believe that the g4 powerbook I bought a year ago was the best purchase I have made in years. It is a model of simplistic and functional design, NEVER lets me down and I can bring it into the classroom and get set up in seconds. I wouldn't consider myself a complete switcher but I am certainly a mac fan and wish that they would get their act together and get the 970 into production. If they want switchers thats the way to go. It might also serve them well to reduce the prices of their powermac range. A dp 1.42 powermac selling for over 3300 euros (irish prices)without a monitor is an extortionate price for a less than cutting edge piece of equipment that still cannot take full advantage of DDR RAM and makes more noise than a jet engine.At the moment, if I had a business to run I would not but apple. My own circumstances are certainly not unique but perhaps unusual in that I am perfectly happy with my own powermac (noise and all) and my laptop. Neither are blisteringly fast and this is not a priority for me anymore. But if a paychecque depended on it, at the moment Intel and AMD would have to be first on my list. Software is generally the same on all platforms and nearly all operting systems are networkable through samba. Justifying an powermac to an IT manager in difficult times is no easy task. I hope Apple will eventually emerge with a decent processor to match os x but I fear that Apple may find it extremely difficult to match Intel's speed. IBM and motorola combined don't have the same research resources as intel. Persuading people to buy apple computers is not an easy task and recent indicators in their sales are beginning to show the lack of imact that Apple Stores are having. I love os x and Apple laptops and I hope things improve as much as anyelse on this board but I'm afraid that looking at the powermac price list can set me off sometimes. Ah well, just my contribution...

Just think, though: to get a Wintel box comparable to a 1.42 Ghz PM (at US$2699), you have to spend about the same amount, if not more, to get all the similar features.

Back