Switching from 9.2 to OS X

copper

Registered
While in 9.2, I used "Startup Disk" to select OS X. (OS 10.0.4 was pre-installed when I received the computer). When I restart, the new OS X logo appears and the initializing sequence begins. However, the process stops and hangs when the words "Initializing Directory Services" appears. When I use the "Startup Disk" to select 9.2, the computer restarts without any problems. What should I do to get around this problem?

While in 9.2, I tried removing the "DirectoryServices Folder" from the "Startup Folder" to the desktop, but this only caused OS X to stop and hang even earlier. When I replaced the folder in the "Startup Folder", the computer started up and works fine. (I had to reset the clock, however). My Internet access is also fine.

I am on an iMac G3 500MHz (Blue), OS 9.2, and connected via Airport. Thanx in advance!

I case someone out there is still reading the 9.2 forum ...

It occurs to me that my Airport card and driver, which work with OS 9.2.2, may not be compatible with OS 10.0.4. My driver is Airport 2.02. I don;t know how to check what type of Airport card I have--it seems difficult to remove ... Can either the driver or the card itself be incompatible with OS X?

Thanks.

If you are trying to start up Mac OS X v10.0.4 (which was released in the summer of 2001 as I recall) after using 9.2.x on this system all this time, I can tell you that your going to have a ton a problems.

First of all, odds are that you have removed some of the required files for Mac OS X. These would have been on the upper most level of the hard drive. Most Mac OS 9 users have no idea what these were for and moved, renamed or deleted them. In Mac OS X, the upper most level of the hard drive is a key place for important operating system files.

Second, odds are you have run some utility app in this time (most likely designed for Mac OS 8/9, like Norton). These utilities often truncate long file names not supported by Mac OS 8/9. This can kill a Mac OS X installation.

At any rate... your installation of 10.0.4 is most likely dead.

If you wish to try out Mac OS X, you'll need to reinstall it from the installation media that came with your system.

Personally, I would consider 10.0.4 as bad starting place for someone new to Mac OS X. For one, most all apps these days require 10.1.5 or hire. And though 10.1 was a free upgrade back in 2001, it is not available from Apple any more. You could find a consultant/service person (like me) who has the upgrade in your area, but that would be more trouble than even 10.1.5 is worth (getting from 10.1.0 to 10.1.5 takes some tricks because Apple changed the installer application at about 10.1.3).

You could hind reasonably priced copies of 10.2 or 10.3, and even 10.4 would run nice on your system (assuming that your iMac has a DVD-ROM drive for the installation).

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to suspect that there was some fundamental problem afoot. If I am able to find installation CDs for 10.1, would I be able to make a successful installation without re-installing the orginal systems disks that came with the computer? This would mean going back to 9.1, then installing 9.2.1 and then 9.2.2 ... . I cannot see any other way around it, but would love to avoid this trouble, if possible.

Again,

Thanks very much.

If I recall correctly, your system came with a system restore set (basically that media copies an image of the factory installed software back onto the system), Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X installation media.

You should be able to reinstall Mac OS X from the Mac OS X installation CD. As long as you are not doing an erase and install, it should ignore the rest of the files on the drive other than what is left of the original Mac OS X installation.

From there you should get 10.1 from somewhere and upgrade.

Once you have 10.1 installed, you'll need this security update before installing the 10.1.5 combo update.

Once you are at 10.1.5 your in pretty good position with a lot of software (at least early Mac OS X versions of most software).

Hope that helps.

Back