Teen Rebellion

Trip

Registered
I'm 17. And I want to stand out. I want to do something my mother wouldn't entirely approve of in my life. But I don't want it to be something that would ruin my life (tattoo, drugs, etc.) something like bleeching my hair, or something. What can I do? What are some things you've done that your parents didn't approve of, but eventually got used to?

Yea...hey now.

ItsLikeThat.jpg

I run around with bleached, sometimes dyed hair, that is spiky, and usualy a biker or megatokyo shirt on. I can't figure out what they don't aprove of though... They even like my hair and shirts... but hey, every new class I go to, the teachers are all kinda wigged out when they see me (no, not wigged out that way, you sicko! :p ), so it's a trade off.

Rejecting my parent's religion (Christianity... for more reasons than one) and becoming a vegan. I did this originally to "break away" from my parent, and to form what I perceived would be my identity. However, I feel these two decisions have impacted me and my life in a positive way.

However, I also felt the need to... "break away" by other means. And that was to do lots and lots of LSD. Probably one of my less intelligent ideas. I still feel that it was a good experience however, even if a risky one.

BTW, just out of curiosity, to whom are you trying to stand out to? Your parents or to society?

PS>>Tattoos won't ruin you life as long as you are smart about them... ie., not getting a tattoo on your face. Tattoos are becoming more and more socially accepted (if not already). From what I notice anyway.

Trip said:
I'm 17. And I want to stand out. I want to do something my mother wouldn't entirely approve of in my life. But I don't want it to be something that would ruin my life (tattoo, drugs, etc.) something like bleeching my hair, or something. What can I do? What are some things you've done that your parents didn't approve of, but eventually got used to?

Well, I know this really doesn't help... but maybe, instead of being like all the other kids and do something your mother doesn't want you to do, maybe be a good son and honor your mother. I realize that might be asking to much, but that would be different. :) You might awe struck here so much that she might go into a greater shock, than if you did something crazy she would not approve of.

When I ever have these feelings, I think, what can I do to tick them off... (them=my parents)... then I think about it, by ticking them off, It's only going to multiply the issue that caused me to concider rebeling in the first place.

Maybe you take that as a reason to go and do more things to upset them... you eventually fall into drugs, and end up... yeah.

I'd be interested to see what Ed might say about this... Ed, if you're listening, give us a sign. =)

I don't want to stand out. Why do you want to stand out? That will just bring criticism since most people are too inept or stupid to see the good in it. I'm not saying don't be individual, but it's the drivers that stand out who get the tickets, if you get my drift.

If you want to stand out simply for the sake of standing out, that's somewhat foolish. It will only draw criticism to a certain aspect of you that you cannot even defend with good reason. Instead, just be you, and do what makes YOU happy without adversly affecting others, whether it's getting a lip piercing, getting "Jesus Rocks" tattooed on your arm, bleaching your hair (because you've always thought blonde was cool), growing your hair into a pony-tail, or oddly enough, not doing anything like that.

Maybe you should stand out not just by how you dress, but by how you act. Maybe your parents are staunch democrats, and you've always leaned to the right. Maybe you want to get involved politically or something, and become a leader.

Whatever you do, make sure it's you, and try not to piss off your parents. There's no reason to piss them off. They were good enough to let you use a Mac, right? ;)

Ok, the discussion got lost here, but that's my fault. I don't want to stand out for my parents...that was just to say.

I want to standout from myself. Be someone nobody thought I could be, and just basically look freaky in a clean kind of way. Am I making sense?

Nobody likes me, and I want to publicly announce that.

Trip, my recommendation is to join an organisation where the people all have a common interest to you (where you actually meet with the people, not just cool forums like MacosX. It's about physical interaction). I used to be part of an SCCA (Sport Compact Car Association), where we would tune our cars and go to auto shows. Lots of fun. Made some great friends. Our love for cars (not just tuned, but classic cars, etc.) helped us interact and enjoy each others company. Also, I am a member of the Cadillac-LaSalle club. I have a 1974 Caddi El Dorado. It's a boat, but it's a classic. Those people are great, and I hang out with some on a near regular basis (outside of the meetings).

Dye your hair is not rebellion. I dye my hair 2 or 3 times a year. In October I had my hair blue-green. Now I have it Orange.
And I'll dye my hair each 6 months (for the exams, January and June).
No problem for me. And I want to make a tatoo, in japanese. But I don't know enough japanese.

Do something that fits your hobbies. You enjoy design, right? Find a retirement home (or something similar), meet some of the folks and design a nice newsletter for them with logo and everything. It'll shock your parents more that you took time to help out needy folks, you'll be honing your trade and helping others. It's not that rebellious, but to be a rebel is something everyone and their mom is doing these days. Stand out, not apart.

ScottW said:
Well, I know this really doesn't help... but maybe, instead of being like all the other kids and do something your mother doesn't want you to do, maybe be a good son and honor your mother. I realize that might be asking to much, but that would be different. You might awe struck here so much that she might go into a greater shock, than if you did something crazy she would not approve of.
Now _that_ would really set you apart from the crowd! ;)
Some non-invasive, inexpensive and easily controllable alteration of your appearance? ... grow a beard! :)

To be honest dude it doesn't really matter. The most important thing is just to try and be happy and make sure that life is fun. Just do what you want to do, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone important to you. If you just be yourself then you'll probably end up doing something rebelious anyway, it just tends to happen. And tattoos and drugs aren't that bad m'kay, just don't do anything silly :)

You shouldn't be asking other people how you as an individual can stand out. Figure it out on your own if you want to be an individual. Just be yourself and try and find creative ways to express it.

And I'm sorry to say but I'm 18 and I live on my own and I smoke pot regularly and it hasn't messed up my life one bit. I'm one of the few people in todays society that realize just because the government says so not all things are bad. Hey man I smoke pot almost every day and I'm still doing pretty well in all the things that I try. Such as school.

Actually come to think of it smoking pot is how I stand out. I believe heavily that marijuana should be legalized, and that it is far less dangerous than alchohol or tobacco.

Just be ready to take responsibility for your actions.

Hopefully we have a liberal mod in here that won't delete my post :p

::edit::
ps- I'm not trying to say you should smoke pot to be an individual.
::/edit::

Well, if there are people who like me I haven't found them yet. But in this case when I find them I'll have something to talk about. :D

BTW - I've decided to do a temporary* branding on myself. Once I find a cookie cutter that suits. ;) How do you all feel about this? Good idea?

*Heat it up nicely, and then only put it on for a few seconds, so it will eventually fade away. That way if I don't like it I can let it go, if I like it I can do it again.

It came to my attention that the piercing picture needs to be discussed really fast:

It's not a real piercing, I made it myself last night from some earing studs, so I didn't really get my lip pierced.

But I am serious about the temporary branding.

Back