The 2003 Blackout, and the face of Real America

habilis

Ministry of Re-Education
The company I work for is located in Solon, a suburb of Cleveland on the east side. I was at work when suddenly everything just cut out, and it was damn dark in there. The only light was from the G4 server that had an APC power backup unit, casting an erie blue glow on everything in the room. Mild confusion quickly spread throughout the office when the power didn't come back on quickly. It wasn't long before we got hold of a radio and heard the news; it was everywhere, all over the east. The first silent thought that went through everyone's mind was "terrorist". But no one said it aloud. A feeling of deja vu set in, I remember the same feeling I got just after we heard the news on 9/11, in this same office. But then I snapped back into reality, time to get home and check on my family.

The streets were mean, very mean, and hot, and deadly. The usual 20 minute commute took an hour and a half. After 1,000 honks and 1,000 stops I made it home.

Not only was my power out but my phone was out too and so was my water, since the pumping stations are electic-powered in Cleveland. There was only one store open around here that was running on generators and when I went there around 6:30pm to get water and batteries I must say the atmosphere was a state of mild panic. The batteries were completely stripped from the shelves and the whole battery area was in a dissarray with boxes and debris scattered all over the floor, the bottled water was almost gone and the shelves there were in a shambles as well. Some people were very frantic, pushing a little bit in the line. This was a huge supermarket called giant eagle with self check out lanes, about 15 of them, but they were all down, only 1 manual lane open, and it was hot in there, very freeking hot, the AC was down and the outdoor temperature was 90+ degrees.

But despite all this chaos, people were helping each other, and people in my neighborhood were all banding together, checking on the old folk and stuff. People genuinely cared for one another. There was a good feeling of unity in the air. There was a sense that we were all in this together. We got together with neighboors and made a fire and I shared my precious bottle of sherry-cask aged whiskey. My 3-year-old daughter was playing with other kids, they were having the time of their life playing hide-and-seek and catching fireflies. I remember thinking "This is how it always must have been, in the days before electricity." The face of Real America showed itself last night, if only for a moment.

From AP/News
New York Gov. George Pataki praised his constituents for pulling together to help each other. While New Yorkers poured out of immobile subway cars, emerged from stuck elevators, began long walks home or rested in local establishments, one unidentified man saw beauty.

"You can actually see the stars in New York City," he said.

That had to be a once in a lifetime thing...probably awhile since that last happened.

Originally posted by habilis
The company I work for is located in Solon, a suburb of Cleveland on the east side. I was at work when suddenly everything just cut out, and it was damn dark in there. The only light was from the G4 server that had an APC power backup unit, casting an erie blue glow on everything in the room. Mild confusion quickly spread throughout the office when the power didn't come back on quickly. It wasn't long before we got hold of a radio and heard the news; it was everywhere, all over the east. The first silent thought that went through everyone's mind was "terrorist". But no one said it aloud. A feeling of deja vu set in, I remember the same feeling I got just after we heard the news on 9/11, in this same office. But then I snapped back into reality, time to get home and check on my family.

The streets were mean, very mean, and hot, and deadly. The usual 20 minute commute took an hour and a half. After 1,000 honks and 1,000 stops I made it home.

Not only was my power out but my phone was out too and so was my water, since the pumping stations are electic-powered in Cleveland. There was only one store open around here that was running on generators and when I went there around 6:30pm to get water and batteries I must say the atmosphere was a state of mild panic. The batteries were completely stripped from the shelves and the whole battery area was in a dissarray with boxes and debris scattered all over the floor, the bottled water was almost gone and the shelves there were in a shambles as well. Some people were very frantic, pushing a little bit in the line. This was a huge supermarket called giant eagle with self check out lanes, about 15 of them, but they were all down, only 1 manual lane open, and it was hot in there, very freeking hot, the AC was down and the outdoor temperature was 90+ degrees.

But despite all this chaos, people were helping each other, and people in my neighborhood were all banding together, checking on the old folk and stuff. People genuinely cared for one another. There was a good feeling of unity in the air. There was a sense that we were all in this together. We got together with neighboors and made a fire and I shared my precious bottle of sherry-cask aged whiskey. My 3-year-old daughter was playing with other kids, they were having the time of their life playing hide-and-seek and catching fireflies. I remember thinking "This is how it always must have been, in the days before electricity." The face of Real America showed itself last night, if only for a moment.

Very well-written.. That last sentence was real nice.. I can totally imagine the atmosphere you were in..

Yup, I walked from uptown Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge to southern Brooklyn. I waited for a bit in Midtown so that the crowds would ease up a bit, it was awesome to see random people going in the middle of the streets with no traffic lights helping out and directing traffic! I stopped over in the village to have a drink then headed back :D

You guys may have had good experiences dealing with these blackouts (I, fortunately, remain unaffected), but I wonder if any places are having problems, i.e. riots, looting, general panic, etc. I sure hope not.

Anyone read Isaac Asimov's Nightfall?

You may read Asimov, or get a NewYork newspaper from a few days after July 13, 1977...

Yeah, the whole thing about the lack of selfishness and mayhem really surprised me.

Conan O'Brien was talking about how they were hit by the blackout at about 5:15, 15 minutes before they were to tape Late Night. That's really crazy that even the TV studios had major problems.

Nightfall is about what happens when a planet with 6 suns (perpetual day) has a complete solar eclipse.

I don't know, there might have been. It wouldn't surprise me.

Check the IMDB.

This just showed how helpless we are without technology and electricity. Without electricity we'd be back 500 years ago. It would be awful.

simple is better. especially on the days when I work for 15 hours behind a computer screen and still can't get enough done. It's a highly personal preference, but leaving my electronic devices at home and going to the beach to sit in a lawn chair under an umbrella right at the edge of the water were you feet get gently massaged by little waves, only the soothing sound of water and seagulls and a gentle breeze, man that's the life for me. I like being helpless.

Originally posted by arden
Nightfall is about what happens when a planet with 6 suns (perpetual day) has a complete solar eclipse.

Interesting question: Are they any stable orbits for a planet in a system with multiple suns ?

Dunno... but this sort of set-up was explained (ficitionally) by Prot in the movie K-Pax... 2 suns, constant twilight conditions...

I'm starting to feel like I live in Iraq. As if having to boil my water wasn't bad enough, we now have a new biological hazard floating around because of the blackout.

At the shores of lake Erie there's a few raw sewage processing facilities. One of the processes the plant runs the raw sewage through to "clean" it is to mix it with huge ammounts of water from the lake. The only thing holding the raw sewage back from dumping right into the lake is the pressure from the water rushing in the huge intake pipes. The problem is, when the power got knocked out, so did the water pumps at these huge facilities, and it turns out that raw sewage was flowing directly into the lake for hours - probably millions of gallons of the stuff. The end result is all the cool beaches are closed.

There's a bunch of logs floatin around in the lake today - and they aint driftwood. When the beaches reopen and the health department merrily exclaims "everythings OK out there in the lake folks, jump in and enjoy it!!", I think I'll make a sand castle insted...

Back