the doubt ...

maccatalan

Registered
Hi.

I'm making a little program in C++ (ISO/ANSI strict) with ProjectBuilder and the program behaves normally until the end.

"Until the end" means that it exits "due to signal 11 (SIGSEGV)" ... however ProjectBuilder to add (in the status bar at the bottom of the window) : "TT exited normally" :confused:

... for me as far as I understand this : a signal 11 message is different from "exited returning 0" what is for me a normal program termination. Then signal 11 is not normal then there is a problem ... but if Builder says it exited normally it seems I have been wrong for a long time ...

so please ..... What does "signa 11 (SIGSEGV)" means ??????? :(

many thx,
Pierre

As I recall it means you're accessing memory that has not been allocated for your application. It could be that your program is trying to make use of an instance which has already been disposed or a buffer which has been free()'d.

You may "think" it's working well, but if you're getting a sigsegv then there is something going on that is most definitely bad, and you're just lucking out and everything just "happens" to work ok, for now.

Have you isolated exactly when you get the sigsegv? Is it after your "main" returns? Take a close look at your pointer usage and make sure you're not using an already free'd pointer, or one that was never allocated. Could also be that you over ran a buffer.

he' trying to access forbidden data.

too bad mordern OS like OSX do not permit that !!! lol

Back