The Future of the iPod...

banjo_boy

Bona Fide Pater Familius
I have no evidence that an iPod II is coming out. Only what I have been reading on the web, but I do have some thoughts about it.

We all know that an iPod can hold many songs and be used a basic PDA. We all know that you can load a whole CD on to an iPod in 10 sec. What about taking the iPod to the next media level, video. And why not take it to the next media, DVD.

Why not have an iPod that has a big enough screen but can hold DVDs? Mind you, you can store 1000+ movies on it, but you can have your favorites. MP3s and AVIs/MOVs with you at all times. Have it be able to connect to a TV? With some reworking, which Apple is always doing, the iPod could be a dream media device.

If Apple is fading out the 5G, why not introduce a bigger HD. 40G? 60G? I have not heard of any being that small but I am just speculating.

To me, this would fly. The iPod is smoking all other players. Why not make movies that accessible.

i don't think the concept of practicality fits at all into this thread...
if that's the device you want, what you'll have is something the size of a college textbook that costs $3000

Originally posted by bolindilly
i don't think the concept of practicality fits at all into this thread...
if that's the device you want, what you'll have is something the size of a college textbook that costs $3000
yeah... except that portable DVD players are already smaller than laptops and about $350-$450.
Apple is known for innovation; haven't you learned that already?
for me, watching video on the iPod would be pretty useless, but having RCA or S-Video out (and use the 1/8" port for stereo audio out) would be GREAT! i could use my ipod as The VCR of the Future™. pick 'movies' on the menu thing, then pick 'action' then go down and pick the movie i want.
while i'm dreaming it'd be nice if apple created a DVD ripping program that makes it as easy to rip DVDs in .mov format as it is to rip CDs in itunes. ^_^

Gotta love how people review something they've never actually used.

I bought a generic DVD player once. Never shall I make the same mistake twice. I wish I could remember the name, it started with an "O."

As for the iPod II. It'll have similar dimensions as the current models. A 2.4 x 4.0 in. touch sensitive LCD. It'll have a special version of iTunes, iCal and QuickTime Player installed. The UI will be designed to be used with your finger, not a stylus. It'll be Bluetooth enabled. Other bells and whistles but the touch sensitive LCD and special UI will be ground-breaking. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but what would be useful about a touchscreen on a device you put in your pocket?

Originally posted by itanium
I bought a generic DVD player once. Never shall I make the same mistake twice. I wish I could remember the name, it started with an "O."

I hope you're not talking about Onkyo. Far from generic, far from a mistake... :D

Back