the mystery of the wandering HD icon...

eyedea

Registered
Hi there,
hoping someone will let me into the secret of this one here - I've heard about it before but can't remember exactly...

My problem is that my HD icon - after every restart - positions itself somewhere on my desktop, alphabetcally it seems, instead of staying where I put it, as in OS9 - top right corner, just out of habit.
I know this might not be a severe problem or anything - but it's annoying me and getting me worried whenever anything does wrong a bit....

Anyone have any idea on what to do about it? Why does it happen?

``View'' on finder Menu > ``Show View Options'' (or cmd +J) > Uncheck ``Keep arranged by.''

icon_view_prefs.jpg

Hermeneus,
thanks for getting back to me about that ;)

But that's not what I meant... sorry, didn't make myself clear enough. I do have the options set as on your snap shot there, no tick for the 'Keep arranged by'.
The HD icon seems to mount itself on whatever free spot there is in line with the rest of the itme, like a CD would... so if there's more icons, it will end up wherever there is a gpa - or however other disks find the space on a desktop...

This is why I don't know what to do... :'(

been pissed of bout this problem myself awhile ago

now I just set up my workspace so icons go in top right corner, aranged bu type :D

what you can do, is make an alias of your disk, put it anywhere you want and disable hard disks from showing up on your desktop

I'm sure I read a solution to this somewhere... just can't remenber where... might have another look in 'te missing manual' maybe it was in there after all... there must be some way to fix it...

but thanks for those tips!! ;)

Back