The new iMacs thread (merged)

they have upped the RAM on the base model, bonus.

also notice instead of 5 (or was it 4) iMacs to choose from, there is now three. Apple is streamlining its product line which some criticized was getting bloated.

No firewire 800 is most likely because iMacs (and iBooks and eMacs) are targeted at consumers (and maybe a little at 'prosumers') and not at proffessionals. A big part of their appeal is simplicity, and having 2 different firewire ports is not simple for the average consumer. Also, these people are buying Macs to make home movies w/ firewire400 cameras, and they may buy some firewire 400 devices, but it is not worth it to them to invest in very new, very expensive firewire800 devices. They don't need 800, they most likely won't use it, and Apple (IMHO) needs more actual features (not just potential features, like expandability/upgradeability) that separate the pro machines form the consumer machines.

Originally posted by senne
so the conclusion is that an iPod with Firewire800 won't come out soon.

it should because the iPod is a HD and a HD could certainly benefit from the additional bandwidth firewire 800 has to offer. im guessing there would be a firewire 800 to 400 adapter.

i think why they didnt add it to the iMac is because with the recent price drops in PowerMacs and displays, they really want to start selling them to professionals again that have turned to the iMac to save $$$.

I believe the top of line iMac is now $1799 instead of $2000. That's good news.

Also, it looks like the new low-end iMac now comes with a combo drive and 100 mHz extra speed, as well as the pro speakers.

By the way, I'm pretty disappointed by the "pro" speakers. They look really cool, but my $40 computer speakers/subwoofer sound MUCH better than the pro speakers do. I'm going to sell them.

I think once you have a subwoofer...you can't go back...It's just not the same. Same with broadband. :)

My best friend and his wife are in the market for a new iMac. They are going to become switchers hehe.. I sent them a link to the Apple store and let them know the iMacs had been updated, and then told them how jealous I was that they would have a 1 GHz G4...while I am still here on a 600 MHz G3 hehe..

That's fine, though. I'm not bitter. Not at all. ;)

a FireWire 800 iPod wouldn't make too much sense, as its HD isn't exactly SPEEDY, anyway. :)

Let's keep that FireWire 400.

you really think so? I thought Firewire800 was backwards compatible (i.e.; you could use a firewire400 device on a firewire800 port). I think the HD would benifite from an extra...what, 800 MB a second?(something like that...) but hey, its still all good!

15" for $1299+a 32X combo drive? Sign me up for the love bus! Wooowoooo! ;)

And do you really need firewire 800 for your iPods? Isn't 400 fast enough for you?!

Originally posted by Stridder44
I think the HD would benifite from an extra...what, 800 MB a second?(something like that...) but hey, its still all good!

Well, it's 800 Mb (Mega Bit) per second. Around 100 MB/s. And the iPod's small harddrive doesn't go anywhere near that. FW800 would either make the iPod more expensive or drive Apple's profit on it down - but not improve the device. All current Macs have FW400, that's why I say: iPod, FW400, okay.

Originally posted by Trip
15" for $1299+a 32X combo drive? Sign me up for the love bus! Wooowoooo! ;)

And do you really need firewire 800 for your iPods? Isn't 400 fast enough for you?!

when the HD's of the iPod gets bigger, FW400 isn't fast enough. Now of course it's fast enough for the 20GB. Look at it this way: in the past people were saying: "Isn't USB fast enough for you? Why do we need FW400??" USB was fine for -1GB devices, but not for +5GB devices. Technology changes fast! The amount of information that we have to exchange between devices is getting really heavy! Year by year, it will get heavier. So later we WILL need FW800 in our iPods, and then we will laugh at FW400.

It always has been like that.... :( (actually it's not that bad... :) SPEED SPEED SPEED TERABYTE TERABYTE!! :D)

Originally posted by senne
when the HD's of the iPod gets bigger, FW400 isn't fast enough. Now of course it's fast enough for the 20GB. Look at it this way: in the past people were saying: "Isn't USB fast enough for you? Why do we need FW400??" USB was fine for -1GB devices, but not for +5GB devices. Technology changes fast! The amount of information that we have to exchange between devices is getting really heavy! Year by year, it will get heavier. So later we WILL need FW800 in our iPods, and then we will laugh at FW400.

It always has been like that.... :( (actually it's not that bad... :) SPEED SPEED SPEED TERABYTE TERABYTE!! :D)

old iMac, iBook, eMac, new iMac, pBook/aBook, PowerMac ;)

:D
;)

Back