The Ring...

I've seen The Ring first, then Ring 1 (the Japanese original) and am about to read the book.

Certainly, the US production was better (the production, not the film). But the Japanese movie is softer and thus, if you happen to _have_ imagination, far more scary. All those instances, where someone walks past that camera and - just for a second - looks at the camera... Also: Saduka just is the much better Samara.

The US production also f***'d up with the telephone rings. In the Japanese original, it only rings in the B4 building, where Saduka actually died (below it). It makes much more sense if you analyse it.

However: Both films draw from a very, very good idea that brings the old horror story of a dead person that wants its story to be told into our time. And both films do that very well.

I was also surprised to find many scenes in the American movie to lean on Japanese aesthetics. That view with the tree (which wasn't in the original movie) looks nothing but as if taken straight from a Japanese original.

And after having seen both movies several times, and even after some months that I've seen them the last time, I still get scared in the real world, when I see a ladder on a house without an obvious sense, I still get scared if someone comes out of a pool/pond/bathtub whatever... And, of course, I can't have it when my best friend lets her long hair hang down in front of her face and whispers: "Ringu..." ;-)

Back