tIbook backlight blanking out

feedmittens

Registered
Asking this question everywhere trying to get info:

So here's the deal. I have an 800mhz tIbook that I had to replace the DVD/CDrom drive and hard drive to get working properly.

After I did that I've been having issues with the backlight. It worked fine for a couple of days then started blanking out. The machine would boot and it would be on for a second, then blank out (just the backlight, not the LCD itself). So I know it's CAPABLE of working. I took the machine apart a few more times and couldn't find a pinched wire or bad contact or anything.

Thoughts on what the issue could be? It's driving me up a wall. The only thing I can think to do at this point is to replace the backlight inverter board (the thing attached to the CD-Rom drive) as well as the wire that connects it to the logic board.

Is there anything that I'm not thinking of? I'm so annoyed because it did work just fine for a day before doing this!

The solution for me was to replace the backlight inverter board and cable. It cost about $40 on eBay. The machine worked perfectly after that. It's an easy install you just need to be careful and have a TINY screwdriver for the two screws that support the board.

Good luck!

like feedmittens it's almost for sure the inverter-board.
i had something similair where i could not set the screen brightness higher than 3 marks, otherwise it would go dark.
replacing the board fixed it.

until you get a new inverter board, you can probably get the light back on a little faster by putting the machine to sleep, and wake it again, instead of rebooting

Back