Timbuktu Pro Problem

skel_73

Registered
Greetings,

I am running Timbukto Pro for Mac to see if it will suit my remote connecting needs. By it's feature set I have no doubt that it will if I can get it working.

I have two Macs - one is my office desktop G5, one is my laptop G4 both OS X.3 Panther.

I want to be able to connect from my laptop over the internet to my office computer.

I am in an office with one IP address access point which is connected to an Asanté Friendlynet 3004 router which assigns a fixed internal IP to my desktop. At home I have dedicated high speed cable access.

I have successfully configured Timbuktu Pro to work succesfully over LAN. Over the internet I get no response.

Building IT admin mapped an external IP address to my office and opened port 407. My Asanté 3004 has enabled service port 407 for the local IP of my office desktop. TCP/IP incoming is enabled in Timbuktu Pro.

Under TCP/IP in New Connection I have entered the external IP as the address, which is the IP that the world sees and which is pointed to my office point of access. With 407 open by my IT admin I thought the request would pass through to my router which would then pass through to my desktop through it's enabled 407 port.

Have I entered the address incorrectly? (Do I need to specify the exact path to my machine and if so, how would I write that?)

I tried using an e-mail address for Netopia's automatic locator service but get the same 'not responding' error.

Thanks for any insight you can offer! :)

Scott

Your external IP is all you should need to put in TimBukTu's IP address, with port 407 opened on each machine.

Make sure you have TCP/IP Incoming Access enabled.

Hmm thanks for the feedback. Good to know exernal IP should work. 407 is open for the machine I'm connecting to. Didn't know it had to be open from anywhere I might be connecting from. I thought it just had to be open on the host computer, allowing access from anywhere on the internet with typical port config.....

Bobw or Skel (if you've solved your problem, maybe you could offer some advice)

I'm having the same problem.
I too am using Timbuktu, trying to connect through router.
I mapped the proper port (407) through the router to the proper machine. I know Timbuktu is running fine, since I can connect using the internal LAN ip. But when I try using the external, nuthin'. Says (external ip address) is not responding.
Any ideas?

Could it be that I need to test this from outside the network from another network? Seems to me it should work either way.

To connect to a machine on the internal LAN, you use the internal IP of the machine, not the external IP. When connecting from outside the LAN, then you use the external IP.

Thanks bobw. I couldn't test it until today, when I was actually outside the LAN, and you are correct. My next step is to register with dyndns.org, since it's a dynamic ip.

Can you or anyone recommend them, or another? How about the client app? Any recommendations?

As always, thanks!

Back