time machine not booting from disk

kimis

Registered
I have had problems after latest update - parallels, airport loss etc. so I thought about restoring my mac with time machine, but after inserting leopard dvd, I only get the initial leopard "galaxy" screen, nothing else. Tried holding c key, via disk utility, etc. Cant boot up in safe mode nor single mode. Wondering wether it is because I am only using an external screen - the screen of my macbookpro went a long time ago. Any ideas?Thanks.

Yes, it's because of your screen.

If you use the computer in "clamshell" or close-lid mode, you should be able to do what you need to do. Turn the computer on without anything connected to it. Once the computer has finished booting, hook up a keyboard/mouse to it. Close the lid and let the computer go to sleep. Connect an external monitor to it, and press any key to wake the computer.

At that point, your computer should only recognize one monitor: the external one. You can now insert the Mac OS X DVD, reboot the computer, and hold 'c' to boot from the DVD. The computer should still only use the external monitor, as long as you don't open the computer.

Wondering wether it is because I am only using an external screen - the screen of my macbookpro went a long time ago. Any ideas?Thanks.

That's exactly why you are having issues. You can try hitting the F keys for mirroring (F7 if I'm not mistaken), but I doubt that's going to happen while booted to disk.

EDIT: Or do what ElDiabloConCaca said. he beat me to the post button.

Thanks you both. Because of your answers I found the solution. I managed to get the screen in a position where it vagely shows something ( it sometimes does) and crossed my fingers that it wouldn't change after inserting the leopard disk. I was lucky, the picture stayed with me and I somehow managed the installation process using time machine. Thanks a lot.

Back