To Convert Your Music, or Not to Convert Your Music. That is the Question

Well, I did not convert... I deleted my MP3s (all of them encoded at 160) and re-ripped my 20-something disc music collection in AAC format at 160.... We'll see if I can tell the difference in the coming days....

Just as it was said before, there will be a huge difference in perceived quality depending upon what type of music you're encoding. Rock, with it's purposely distorted guitar and scratchy vocals will sound much better than jazz or classical at the same given bit rate.
If you do try it, before you do re-encode everything, I would try a few differing types of music. There is some music on my machine that I would never try to reincode, others might not sound too bad.

Basicaly, there WILL be a degradation in audio quality. The difference will be that some will not be able to hear the audio loss depending upon preference in audio quality/musical tastes/quality of audio hardware.

I dunooo. If I get close to maxing out my iPod and aren't ready to got to a larger size, it might be worth converting a number of and getting a few extra hundred songs even if I lose a little quality (which should be mitigated by running through a stereo with equalizer, or even a good set of headphones).

Originally posted by Randman
I dunooo. If I get close to maxing out my iPod and aren't ready to got to a larger size, it might be worth converting a number of and getting a few extra hundred songs even if I lose a little quality (which should be mitigated by running through a stereo with equalizer, or even a good set of headphones).

You MIGHT be able to compensate for part of the lower and upper end loss by the use of an EQ. The high quality headphones may actually make things sound worse than lower quality headphones. You'll hear all the small imperfections within the song.

If fitting more songs on the iPod is the reason you're doing this, and you don't mind the slight quality loss, I'm sure it will be worth it.

Back