To Mac or Not to Mac

mfmercer

Registered
Question. Is this the right forum to discuss whether I should get a new PC or try a new Mac? I used Macs for a few years and loved them, but finally succumbed in 1999 and went PC (ex wife demanded it). Recently saw my brother-in-law's new Imac and got that same old feeling but am concerned about game availability, support and software commonality with the PC world. Have recent Mac advances eased some of the incompatibility issues between the PC world and the Apple world? Can I edit an MS Word doc on an Imac if need be? Just miss the luxury of a Mac.

mfmercer said:
Question. Is this the right forum to discuss whether I should get a new PC or try a new Mac?

It's as good as any.

Have recent Mac advances eased some of the incompatibility issues between the PC world and the Apple world? Can I edit an MS Word doc on an Imac if need be? Just miss the luxury of a Mac.

Yes, OS X is much more compatible with Windows than ever before. It has the ability to browse SMB/CIFS shares from the Finder (Mac file browser), and TextEdit has the ability to read and write to .doc (Word) files. There is a native version of Office available, and if all else fails there is always Virtual PC, which I can personally recommend. I use it to run Windows 98SE 'cause I need ActiveSync for my work, and the machine I'm using it on is 5+ years old (PowerBook G3 300, also known as the Wallstreet)

Perhaps the best place to start is at Apples Switch page. Also check out the OS X Panther Overview page. (Panther is the latest iteration of Mac OS X; it's also known as OS X 10.3. Yeah, I know, the naming scheme is kinda screwy.)

Of course, there are certain apps that just aren't made for the Mac, and never will be. Before deciding, make certain that all the software that you need is available for the Mac, or has an acceptable alternative.

Hope this helps.

(tig)

You have come to the write place. Welcome.

Just about every program and application on a PC is available on the Mac. It may be shareware, freeware, or commercial, but there is something comparable available.

You can use MacLinkPlus Deluxe (Dataviz) to convert any PC document to a Mac document, then work on it, and convert it back to a PC document to send back.

Games: There are a lot of games. While some developers will only do for the Windows, there are a lot of other choices for the Mac. Some companies will do cross platform on one CD. Check out the box of the game, as it just may say Mac OS X.

Check out this web site: http://www.apple.com/switch/
It just may answers some of your questions.

And want some specific hardware or software? Check out:
http://guide.apple.com/index.lasso

Thanks Grimace and Cheryl. The links answered a lot of questions. Sounds like OSX has made file transfer more or less seamless. Used Macs throughout grad school and for a few years after so I'm familiar with the old systems (1998 and before). I'll have to price the Imac out!

Back