Tokyo MacWorld Canceled

Proably to help keep their stock prices steady.

They wised up to the fact that the expected hardware anouncements at these tradeshows were hurting them more than helping them. When they came through, everyone was happy, but when you're expected to pull new hardware out of your ass every 3 months or it makes your customers cranky and 'analysts' bemoan your fate, it's time to avoid it.

that's one thing... also in recent years, it has just become too expensive for many companies... apple said they'd concentrate on the big shows... which'd mean only apple expo paris and MWSF (if apple really doesn't do more MWNYs or MWBO's). i'm gonna miss those keynotes of steve, though...

And another thing - aren't these supposed to be aimed at developers, not consumers? I always assumed that the only reason these shows exist is so that developer Z can show off his new software/hardware (look, it's designed for the iMac, it's translucent) and get some press. Public attendance isn't really the point. So, if you got nothing to show, why be there? Or am I totally off base here?

If I'm not, how many Mac developers are there in Japan or Asia? I'd guess few.

the shows are consumer shows. developers showing their stuff to consumers. only WWDC is aimed at developers as an audience.

If I'm not, how many Mac developers are there in Japan or Asia? I'd guess few.

Not to be snide, but I'd guess fewer after this. I understand that there may be business and economic reasons behind this, but I'd be interested whether they're trying to develop ANY presence in Asia/Pac.

Ian

It seems like Apple is obviously trying to cut some corners in such tough economic times. Trade shows can be an expensive proposition, taking up both financial resources and time. In the mean time, Apple is trying to lay off as few employees as possible. Still, I hope Apple continues to market its products worldwide in order to attract more consumers.

Hey, if Apple were to cancel Macworld Switzerland because of a lack of money, I guess you'd see a few hundred Mac fans making a step and working on the stands as evangelists for free. But Apple hasn't even had a stand on the big i-net and computer trade shows here for years... ;)

I think the question is more that people have come to expect a revolution everytime Steve Jobs speaks anywhere, and that Steve Jobs speaks everywhere where Apple appears. Well, they don't HAVE that many revolutions, and keynotes that only show past news aren't THAT great, although you can still enjoy Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field for an hour...

I guess less shows, less disappointments is a thought, too.

However, Apple mustn't get rid of the international shows. They're important. There is quite some Macintosh movement in Japan and the iPod and iBook have been a huge success over there. And there ARE software and hardware developers in Japan.

Japan has been in a recession now for 8 years. For the past two years, Japan has been in deflation, similar to although less severe than what happened in the U.S. in the 1930's. Korea has slipped too, and the Asian tigers aren't growling right now either.
Other news sources have indicated that several other exhibitors had withdrawn before Apple made its' decision.
What is more important is how Apple presents itself in China and India. China has already announced that they plan to develop an alternative to MS software. India, despite a visit from Bill Gates, has made it official that they want to be Microsoft free.
My opinion: with the move to a Unix based OS, Apple is in a good position to attract developers in those countries. And consider this: about half the people curently alive live in those two countries.

those countries are very pro Linux, too. they don't only 'hate' MS, they don't want proprietary systems. so Apple isn't a first candidate either.

Back