Touch pad fails after sleep

Gnomo

Registered
This is starting to get annoying:

About every 2 days, when I open my iBook (wake it from sleep), the touch pad won't work. If I plug in an external mouse, I can continue to use my computer, but I cannot get the touch pad to work until I reboot. I talked to the guys at the apple store about this. The told me that replacing the motherboard (which I was having done because of a defective eithernet port) would take care of the problem, but it didn't...cause it has started doing this again.

Any ideas? Bad memory? Still the motherboard? Anyone know a workaround?

I have tried putting the computer back to sleep, but when I wake it back up again, then Aqua won't respond and I have to force reboot.

That's a MacOS 10.2.x bug. Every iBook owner I know is experiencing this. It also happens to my iBook. I first checked the HD but nothing was wrong. Then I checked the hardware with the Hardware Test CD that came with the iBook and everything was fine. It's just a plain bad OSX bug. If you check on Apple Discussions you'll see there's plenty of people suffering with this.

I was trying iBooks at the Apple Store last night (I am ordering the 800mhz one today), and none of them locked up when I put them to sleep. Does this only happen when you have used the iBook for a few months?

-Alex

I'm not sure. I've been trying to pinpoint what I've done that is consistent across the number of times that this has happened to me. I think it might be related to unplugging the power adapter while the iBook is asleep (something that most iBook owners would do)...even then it only happens about 5% of the time. It could very well be a bug in the GUI. However, if it were a bug in the OS, wouldn't it also affect TiBook owners? I know a bunch and they've never had this kind of problem.

I have learned with my bronze G3, never to do anything thing with the computer while in sleep mode. It only created problems. Wake it up before doing anything.

Start writing a log. Immediately after it happens, write down what you just did...exactly. BTW, have you run Disk Utility?

Back