Transfer from 9.1 >> OSX, can't run binary file

OdinsDream

Registered
I've been given the task of transferring some files from a machine running 9.1 to a replacement machine running 10.2.

Some of the files, particularly Quark XPress files, and Installer package files, were transferred fine, but now they have no application association with them.

For instance, double-clicking on the installer binary for "suitcase fonts" gives me the message about there being no apporpriate application to open this file. It's an executable binary file, though... which I successfully ran on the 9.1 machine. The file specifically mentions being OSX compatible during it's installation routine, but I just can't get it to run on this OSX system.

Also, the Quark files, when double-clicked, are no longer associated with Quark. However, if I use Quark's File_Open command, I can easily select the file, and properly open it. Can I reassociate these files?

I'm thinking the reasons for this could be in the transfer method. I have no firewire cables, and the zip drive option is out, since I've had to move over a gig's worth of files. The 9.1 machine has no cd burner.

I run linux myself, and I have an FTP server. So, I connected to it with the 9.1 machine, transferred everything to the FTP server, and then connected with OSX to the same server, and grabbed the stuff again.

I'm guessing that something was lost during the transfer that indicates what type of files these are, and what should be done to run them.

Does anyone have a solution to modify the already-tranferred files so that I can reassociate them properly?

Of particular importance is the installer I mentioned, which is just a self-installing executable.

The stuff that was lost would be the resource forks of the files. Linux (and every other OS in the world) doesn't know about resource forks. If you still have the 9.1 machine handy, you could archive the files to a format that uses no resource forks - using an app like Stuffit for example - transfer the archive, and expand it on OS X.

If you're lucky, all that was in there was the type/creator codes. To restore that, just select the file in the Finder, choose get info, and pick the application you want to open the file with. Somewhat tedious, but it works alright.

The executable, since it runs on OS X and 9, is presumable a Carbon app. They typically keep a fair amount of vital information in their resource forks. I'm afraid I can't think of any way to restore that file to its original state.

Thanks for the tips!!

I'll definitely try this solution, as I actually do have the machine for a little longer.

The executable should still be runnable in OS X, though?

yeah, under classic most likley, but it should run. There are very few apps that wont run in classic. Just make sure you get the resource forks of all your files. Using stuffit is a good way to do this. The resource fork is where previews, creator codes, modifcation dates etc are held in normal files and where the GUI part of classic applications are kept.

You will notice if you control click on an OSX application and go to show package contents, all of the resource files are now kept there as binary files. Apple is slowly but surely moving away from having a data and a resource fork.

Back