trouble formatting wd my book essential

katsnfish

Registered
I have a 500GB WD my book essential and am trying to change it from FAT32 to OS Extended (journaled). (I think...) I had one previously that I did not change and encountered problems when saving video to it -- it would save about an hour, then cut off. I reformatted that one but, of course, lost all of my data. Then a few months later the drive stopped being recognized by my computer. (Any ideas why?) I sent it back and had a new one sent to me. (WD was very prompt about that.)

Anyhow, I am trying to start this one out on the right foot and format it correctly. However, when I go through the steps and finally get to partitioning the drive, the partition fails with the error -- Could not unmount disk. When I tried to verify the disk, I got this message: Verify volume failed with error Could not unmount disk.

What should I do??

Last edited:
Hi
Yes I have seen this before, try disconnect drive, wait 5sec, re-connect drive, once it shows up drag it to trash. If this fails wait 5 minutes and then drag to trash. Hopefully it will allow you to unmount disk by dragging to trash. Once its unmounted the use disk utility to format.
Ed

Back