Trouble with Entourage

scottdg

Registered
Let me start by saying that I am not a "MAC Person". I am the admin for our company and I am trying to install a new MAC for our communications department. She installed Office X and is using Entourage as her e-mail client. We set up her Internet options in system preferences and went into Entourage to set up an account. I need to set it up to connect to an Exchange server. I set up an IMAP account and was having trouble connecting to the IMAP server. I then replaced the IMAP server name with the IP address and was able to connect. The problem is the user is stil receiving error messagessaying things such as "enexpected data encountered" with an error code 17997. She can then receive the e-mail but it is sometimes seeveral minutes after it has arrived.

I also know that there is a way to set up a schedule for mail to be sent and delivered. It seems as she can send e-mail and I will receive it almost instantly but e-mail sent to her address takes a while and sometimes does not appear until she goes to send and receive. I would like to bypass that step if possible.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Or point me in the direction where I can get my question answered.

Thanks.

You have two options I would consider looking at, myself I have M$ Entourage setup with our Exchange server but I think you'll need to setup the communication using the IMAP protocol, the bummer using this method is all you can do is send and receive mail, no access to calendars or folders.

The other opton you could use is the Mac OS Classic Outlook client http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/outlook/outlook_default.asp?navindex=s13 unfortunately you'll need to run classic environment in the background if your using OS X but you will have access to folders and calendars.

Finch

For now I would be fine with just being able to send and receive e-mail. I set up the IMAP account but I am getting errors every time we try and receive mail. The user (who is more MAC literate than I am) went ahead and set up the mail client in OSX and that works although there is still a slight delay. I just want to be able to receive e-mail.

There is a firewall but it is not blocking IMAP. I think the user may have done something to cause the errors. I set up another machine and it works fine.

Dear All,

I work for the UK Government and within our building, we use Microsoft Exchange 2000. I have been using a Macintosh in this environment for well over 4 years and I have been using Outlook on the Mac since version 8.2. (Who remembers that?)

Outlook 8.2 for Mac was, well, crap. It was buggy, kept crashing, I gave up and used good old Outlook Express on the POP3 protocol.

When Outlook 2001 come out, it was a God send. Stable, fast and it work. I use that until MacOS X came along and moved over to that OS. I don't use the Classic environment within X as I find that this method slows down my machine, so I using PowerMail until Entourage X came out.

I have never used the IMAP protocol, because I have bad experiences with this protocol.

Here is what I suggest:

1. Use Entourage with Exchange on the POP3 protocol, I do and I don't have any trouble.

2. Use good old Outlook 2001 in the classic environment. (if you have a fast machine) I have once in a while I haven't found a problem.

3. Try other mail packages, like Eudora?

A schedule can be set up to "send and receive" for the POP3 protocol, I use it in the office everyday, without a problem.

One advantage of using the POP3 protocol is that if your Exchange server goes down, you can still do you email and send later. (If you choose to have the email stored on your hard disk)

Hope that this email has given some suggestions... :)

I appreciate your help.

The computer I first set it on on is a G4 dual processor machine. The user has more MAC experience than I and configured a lot before I came to help her with e-mail.

I set up an iMac running OSX and the one thing I know she did differently than I did is she went into the Internet preferences in System Preferences and entered all of the information in there as well as in the account for Entourage. When I set up the iMac I just set up the account in Entourage using IMAP. I never set up anything in the Internet preferences. I did not set up any schedules either. The iMac has been working fine with no trouble at all! I since went back to the G4 and erased all the Internet preferences (although it should not have made a difference since the default mail client was still Entourage) and the schedule I had tried setting up so that aeverything was back to the default settings.

This seemed to work on the G4 mail is received much quicker than it was previously until she received an error 3170 unable to connect to the IMAP server. I tried it today for a little while and was unable to duplicate the error and was sending and receiving mail with no problems. So iI will just have to play it by ear.

When you say you have had problems with IMAP, what type of problems did you have? Anything similar to what I have described?

Thanks again for help.

Scott

Dear Scott,

Yes, in a way, but this was years ago. I haven't use the IMAP protocol in years, just from that reason... "Unable to conect to server..." for whatever reason. Literally, one minute later, using the POP3 protocol, I 'get' mail and I get the mail, "What the fu...?" Where was the problem? God knows.

IMAP, I find is not stable, or it's me having bad luck. I know alot of people have different set up etc, but if you try IMAP and it ain't working for you, use POP3.

My boss uses IMAP protocol in Entourage X and doesn't have a problem. My other boss uses POP3 in Entourage 2001. It all depends on the user needs.

Only you can decide what's best...

Back