trust cheap memory?

jhogeterp

Registered
I am looking toupgrading my powermac 867 up to 1gb of memory by adding 512 mb stick.

I was surprised at how expensive 512 mb stil is. My problem is this. I am finding $80 differences in prices. Do i trust the low end priced memory? I know I trust crucial.com, but 4allmemory.com has much cheaper prices. Or I could go with kingston, or viking, etc... who are also more expensive. Is there actually a difference in quality. Should I pay the higher price because the memory will (probably) perform better and last longer? Do I trust 4allmemory.com when their memory has no description/tech info but is $50 less than crucial?

any advice would be helpful. It is not a HUGE deal to spend an extra $50, but I am a bit curious.

I would stay away from Kingston brand memory at this point in time. For some reason, a good chunk of their DDR modules cause kernel panics under Panther, even though Kingston has been regarded as high-quality memory for a long time.

Crucial is your best bet, but they are more expensive than other vendors. You may want to try http://www.18004memory.com -- I've never had any compatibility issues with their RAM and they are cheaper than name-brand memory like Crucial.

I have 512M Kingston SODIMMS in both my iBook G4 and my iMac G4 and haven't had a kernel panic on either one. Ofcourse YMMV.

Brian

I had always bought the cheapest RAM I could find until recently. I bought a 512 for my iBook from some website recommended on this forum. Sure enough, it was bad. It was very hard to trace because the computer launched and worked basically normally except for some specific circumstances, where it would crash every time. Even a RAM diagnostic said the RAM was fine.

On a whim, I bought Apple's expensive RAM and sure enough that solved it. Not a problem since. The main reason I bought the Apple RAM (or from Apple I should say) was because I had a critical conference to go to and I needed to know my machine was going to be covered. I figured if Apple saw I put third party RAM in there, they might not fully cooperate given that I had a problem due to RAM.

Back