TV on an iMac

Rhisiart

Registered
My friend Hugh lives in Ontario and has cable broadband. He wants to watch European international rugby matches on his iMac.

Would he be able to watch TV using Virtual PC (forget about Apple TV for now)?

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Apple TV has nothing to do with watching TV on your Mac, it's the opposite, i.e. watching media from your Mac on your TV set. Then you mention broadband internet. Are the rugby matches you talk about streamed over the internet? If so, what is needed for displaying the stream? That way, one might find out if something like VPC is needed.

Generally, I'd say VPC is not the ideal solution for anything video. Too slow.

Where does he intend to get the rugby matches from? Are they being streamed to the internet? If so, what is the site?

If you're trying to get an outside cable signal in, and eyetv thing may be what you're after; http://www.elgato.com/, if you want an output, a mini-vga/dvi (depending on model), to s-video/coaxial adapter would work..

i have both the eyetv 250 and hybrid, and they are great. just wish i had a new mac to use all the hd features of the hybrid, but make watching tv easy on my mac.

Well the answer is something you will not like. Tell him to buy a Sling Media Box for you and then hook it to your TV cable/satellite and his computer IP/MAC address. This way he can watch/control you TV channels and watch rugby anytime. The draw back is he will be able to control your TV at anytime.:rolleyes:

Thank you for all your replies. I have passed on your responses to Hugh.

Given that Wales did so badly against Ireland yesterday, he may be better off not seeing any more rugby.

P.S. Thank you Fryke for correcting me on Apple TV.

Back