Unable to open DVD tray on dual USB iBook

cxcheng

Registered
The first time I hit the F12 key, I can hear some sound from the drive but the tray does not come out. On subsequent hits of the F12 key, I don't even hear the drive. I tried this in both OS X 1.2 and also OS 9.2.2, thinking it might be a software problem, but it doesn't work. I tried inserting a paper clip into the little hole and I couldn't press on anything although I'm probably not trained in the use of paper clips. There is no disc in the drive, so it isn't the problem with a stuck disc. BTW, the machine is only 3 weeks old and the drive has been functioning perfectly until now (should have waited for the 14.1" iBook... oh well).
Do you guys think this is a simple problem or I have a bad drive?
Thanks

Stick the paperclip in there and hold for a few seconds ... if nothing happens and it won't work using the eject (F12) key, you're the owner of a brand new iBook with a malfunction cd-rom tray! Congrats!

I'd definately call Apple (sooner rather than later) and tell them what's up. If they want you to send it back in, go ahead and ask them about upgrading to the 14 incher, there's no harm is asking right?

Good luck!

hey cxcheng, my iBook does the same thing. i found that when it clicks to try and open i can catch the edge of the drive with my finger and push down a little it opens up. i also found that if i just barely close the drive and it just latches to close, it opens up just fine. i hope this helps and i was not too confusing...

I think you may have to hold down the eject key for a few seconds for the drive to open. Make sure that won't work.

Sorry to hear you're already having problems, but I guess these things happen. :(

Back