Updating a 500Mhz iBook to Jaguar

jeepster485

Hit any user to continue
I have acquired with a 500MHz iBook, currently running OS 9.1 with an install of 10.0.3. I was hoping to upgrade it to OS 10.2. I have 2 versions of 10.2; an update version which I don't think will work since you need 10.1 to update to 10.2. I also have the software install CDs for my 800MHz iBook. These have OS 10.2 on them. Would it be possible to use these CDs to install 10.2 on it or would I have to get the 10.1 update CD somewhere and then use my 10.2 update CDs to get it to 10.2?

The install CDs from your 800MHz iBook should work, however, installing those on the 500MHz iBook while still having it installed on the 800MHz iBook is a violation of the license agreement.

You may want to check or try the update CDs you already have -- they may recognize the 10.0.3 installation as a valid, upgradeable installation and allow you to proceed that way.

As far as I know, any installer of 10.2 will work regardless of whether you have a previous version of OS X unless it's an update to 10.2 (like 10.2 -> 10.2.8). Try running those discs, see if they work. I'd be willing to bet you money that they will.

Use Archive and Install if possible.

The 10.2 will install with no previous version of X. When you've got 10.2 installed head on over not to Software Updates but rather to apple.com/swupdates and burn the stuff onto your favorite media. Get the combo for 10.2.8, after that go ahead and do software updates if you want. For instance 10.1 stuff is unavailable, so get these updates and archive. You never know when you're going to need the updates. It sure helps a friend out as well on a slow connection when give the buddy the updates on cd.

Back