Upgraded to OSX Tiger! How can I connect automatically to our wireless network?

saber1800

Registered
Just upgraded OSX 10.4 from OSX 10.2 and every time I power up or restart my iMac a box pops up soon after the desktop is displayed saying it can't find our wireless network and if we would like to connect to another network in the area. I click "No" and click on the Airport little radar icon on the top of the right side of the screen that displays the wireless networks and sure enough there's our network. I click on it and I'm then connected to the Internet.

Is there something I can do so I'm able to connect to our wireless network as soon as our iMac boots up?

Thanks

Sure there is. From the Apple menu, choose "System Preferences..." then click on the "Network" icon. Double click "Airport." Then click the "Airport" tab. There, you can choose to "By default join" and choose your network. There you go.

There is a glitch with tiger connecting to some wireless routers that I read somewhere and i experienced it as well. When I was up in Whistler last week, I had my iBook with 10.3.9 and my friend had her new PB with tiger. I could connect to the wireless network and she couldnt. We tried all week with no luck, i had to actually serve her internet service through my ibook. The only thing is, i dont know what router it was as we were leaching off someones unprotected wireless device but the Network was called NETGEAR so that may indicate a brand's default network name. Apparently 10.4.1 will fix this problem.

I came across the same problem 1st time round after a clean install. Changed the WEP setting on the wireless router (Netgear MR814v2) from 40 bit to 128 bit, and it worked like a charm.

By now, you probably know that Apple acknowledged an issue with joining wireless networks and fixed the problem in the 10.4.1 update. (I had the problem myself, while moving between my two Airports -- but 10.4.1 fixed it.)

i've got the same problem. any idea how i can get the update since i can't get on line with my mac on my network? my pc's are doing fine and my mac was fine on airport using os 9. i installed x 10.2 i was able to reestablish the network and signal fromairport but explorer can not find the server. maybe i can download something using my pc? i did it when i wanted a new copy of ie 5 for os 9 pc to cd to mac and it worked. i would appreciate any advice you can give.

jimviviano said:
i've got the same problem. any idea how i can get the update since i can't get on line with my mac on my network? my pc's are doing fine and my mac was fine on airport using os 9. i installed x 10.2 i was able to reestablish the network and signal fromairport but explorer can not find the server. maybe i can download something using my pc? i did it when i wanted a new copy of ie 5 for os 9 pc to cd to mac and it worked. i would appreciate any advice you can give.
Can't you plug the Mac in directly (via Ethernet, not wirelessly), just to get the update, then switch back to wireless?

Back