USB and iPod

scooterdude

Registered
Greetings:

I have a1 GHz G4 Powerbook running OS 10.4.9. Very nice machine, no inherent problems.

I recently received a new 60GB iPod, latest generation (4th?) with photo/video.

I have noticed that it really took alog time to load in everything from iTunes and charging takes longer than one might expect via the built in USB on my Powerbook.

I think it is because I don't have the latest fastest USB? I know there is something called high speed USB or something akiin to that?

Is there something I can do to upgrade the USB on my computer or is what I have, "what I have?" and just learn to live with it? No upgrades in firmware or whatever to make my USB speedier?

Thanks

Jonathan in Denver

yus.

High-Speed USB, or USB 2.0 transfers data at up to 480mb/s, FireWire transfers at 400mb/s, so the two technologies are quite similar in their usage. USB 1.0, or USB 1.1 is what you Powerbook has built in, and unfortunately has an effective maximum transfer speed of just 12mb/s.

you might be able to find a USB 2.0 hub the plugs into your Firewire

So here is what I have found.

My 15" Powerbook has a PCMCIA slot on the side. Duh.

I have found a "2 port USB 2.0 CardBus" card, inexpensive, that will enable me to take advantage of USB 2.0. using that slot.

Go Figure.

Jonathan in Denver

Your two USB ports are 480bps (USB-1). Your best bet would be a
PCMCIA (PC) card with USB-2 ports.

Just a minor correction: USB 1.1 has a maximum speed of 12 Mbps. USB 2.0 maximum is 480 Mbps.
If only 480 bps, you would _really_ be waiting! :D

Back