Using an iPod touch

almo

Registered
I have a G4 tower/mirror and want to buy and use an iPod touch. I was told it wouldn't work with Panther, so I upgraded to Tiger. Now I am told the iPod touch still won't work because the USB ports on my G4 are 1.1 and the iPod requires 2. I am disgusted. I would buy a new computer in a minute if Apple would bring out a new Mini. I don't want a G5 and I won't buy an iMac because its height is not adjustable. It seems that Apple products are becoming less versatile and less and less compatible. Is there any solution to the USB problem?

I am using a PowerBook G3 Pismo running 10.4.11 which also only has USB 1.1, it runs fine there.

Hey guys,

I answered this question in the tech queue, suggesting a USB2 host card as they are cheap but i left it open as almo was interested in hearing any other options. Just an FYI.

So you've said in three posts now, message received i think you can assume.

Its good news, though I have tried running high capacity iPods off 1.1 and it was painfully slow. Personally I'd by the USB2 card anyway for the less than 30 dollars it costs as it will mean the iPod connects fast and also it generally makes what is now a fairly old machine a lot more useful (or did when I did just the same on my sawtooth)

None of my nearby stores had the Iogear or Sonnet cards recommended, but I did find one made by LaCie. Bought it, got it home, found this message on the LaCie website:

"Installing this USB card in a PCI slot may prevent the computer from entering Sleep mode . . ."

May? I am disgusted. Looks like there's no way to get USB 2 on an old computer without creating new problems. I do not want to power down my computer twice a day. That will burn out the power supply in no time. Maybe Apple will bring out a new Mini one of these years and let me upgrade properly.

Yep, there was a similar message on mine but it didn't cause a problem for me. Since you have already bought it you may as well try it.

Back