Using an Itrip on a powerbook?

Ubipa

Registered
Is it possible? I've seen the irock but it doesn't look convenient enough (dangling attachment, batteries, etc). The Itrip is more functional w/ no batteries and connects right on. I wish there was something similar that would fit right onto my 12" powerbook. I need mobility in my house and ability to listen to music from itunes on my stereo w/o wires

What if I took the original style itrip w/ the firewire connector and replaced the direct headphone plug with one on a short cable that could then be connected to the headphone plug on the pbook?

I would of posted this in the hardware section but the problem comes in w/ how the FM frequency is selected. Is there a default that is selected and will have to be used or will I still have control of the selection within itunes or something?

Can anyone help?

Ooh! I would like to know, too!

The way you select the frequency on the iPod.... aren't those technically just a bunch of sound files which send a certain frequency to the iTrip to tell it which frequency to use? Couldn't you just play those files on your PowerBook with the iTrip plugged in?

Could someone with an iTrip please plug it in to their PowerBook and tell us if this works?

It won't work. The itrip gets its power from the remote hookup on the ipod. You would have to get power to it somehow. The frequencies should work the same though.

I have a belkin tunecast that works well for this application.

hmm. yeah, it looks like they are just sound files on a playlist that select the frequency. Well that part will work. Now.. I didn't notice the itrip drew it's power from the headphone connector. I read the ibooks have the same connector but ofcourse the pbooks don't :(

I would of thought they'd use the firewire power. So the firewire connector is a dud eh? let's see...

Does anyone know what the voltage of the itrip or the headphone remote is? I'm wondering if it has the same voltage as the firewire port or usb? hmm..just checked my dock mount ipod and found a 3.2v. USb is 5v and firewire is 18-25v. I just read something that said itrip2 had been revised to work at a higher voltage, so the itrip1 must be lower than 3.2v.

I wonder at what voltage range the itrip2 will work, possibly 5v from the usb? Then remove newer style remote connector and wire a small jumper to the usb port and plug the itrip2 directly into the headphone jack?

Has anyone tried this... any1 look into it... any advice or knowledge??

Does anyone know what company makes the connector for the remote control on the newer style ipods?

An idea is brewing for a small adapter that plugs into the analog audio i/o's on the 12" and then has a small jumper cable w/ a 90degree usb that supplies the power. Then the itrip 2 will plug directly into the adapter which maybe has a 3v LDO regulator inside if needed. Would Griffin respond if I emailed them asking about itrip operating voltage range?

Originally posted by heathpitts
It won't work. The itrip gets its power from the remote hookup on the ipod. You would have to get power to it somehow. The frequencies should work the same though.

I have a belkin tunecast that works well for this application.

Which iTrip are we talking about? The old iTrip gets power from the headphone jack, which has three rings (left channel audio, right channel audio, and the remote control channel), right? isn't it possible that it could get power from the headphone jack?

I believe the newer iPods have a headphone jack, and then a separate hole for the remote control, right? yiis....

Still would like someone to try it, see if it works, just as a fluke.

aiii.. I wish Griffin would come out w/ a itrip for pbooks. Like a USB version w/ an internal d/a converter.
Actually! I was just reading that impulsesoft is designing bluetooth headphones. Is there a bluetooth system that I could just use the bluetooth w/ a receiver hooked up to the stereo. Anyone know of a device yet? Hmm.. that might not be as flexible.

Hey Ubipa, I was thinking exactly the same thought a while ago :cool:
If we can find out exactly what the iPod headphones/remote control connector is, and a supplier of those, then we've solved the problem already. We could, as you said, make an iTrip-to-jack and usb adaptor.

Originally posted by Jason
oh just use an auxiliary input ;)

A 3,5mm female jack to be exact, but the iPod thing has at least one more pin and a "cap" around it. I suppose it's GND for the remote control.

Back