Verification Failed

BriceH

Registered
I tried to install Windows Vista with Boot Camp. Here are the specs for my computer:
MacBook Pro (Late 2007): 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2 GB RAM; 185.99 GB Hard Drive; Running Mac OS 10.5.7

I am trying to partition my drive so that I have a 153 GB Mac partition and a 32 GB Windows partition. This would leave me with 23 GB free on my Mac partition. When I click "Partition", after about 4 minutes, it displays the following message:
Verification failed. This disk could not be partitioned.
Use Disk Utility to repair this disk.

After getting that message, I went into Disk Utility, selected my hard drive, and clicked "Repair Disk Permissions". I tried partitioning again, and got the same message. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Repair Disk Permissions is not what you need.
Boot to your installer DVD, and run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
Choose your hard drive, then click the Repair Disk button (different from Repair Disk Permissions)
How much free space is available on your hard drive now?

Repair Disk Permissions is not what you need.
Boot to your installer DVD, and run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
Choose your hard drive, then click the Repair Disk button (different from Repair Disk Permissions)
How much free space is available on your hard drive now?
I repaired the disk, but now I get the following error message:
The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
Backup the disk and use Disk Utility to format the disk as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

What's the problem now?
P.S. I have 57.35 GB left on my hard drive. See the specs above.

Last edited:
I repaired the disk permissions...

Nope, you're still not there. You are not being told to repair disk permissions -- you are being told to repair the disk.

Repairing permissions over and over will get you nowhere. You need to repair the disk.

Boot from your OS X Install CD/DVD, then select "Disk Utility" from the "Utilities" menu after selecting a language. When Disk Utility opens, highlight your hard drive in the left-hand sidebar, then click "Repair Disk" (not "Repair Disk Permissions"). The "Repair Disk" button is located on the right-hand side of the window, unlike "Repair Disk Permissions", which is located on the left-hand side.

Nope, you're still not there. You are not being told to repair disk permissions -- you are being told to repair the disk.

Repairing permissions over and over will get you nowhere. You need to repair the disk.

Boot from your OS X Install CD/DVD, then select "Disk Utility" from the "Utilities" menu after selecting a language. When Disk Utility opens, highlight your hard drive in the left-hand sidebar, then click "Repair Disk" (not "Repair Disk Permissions"). The "Repair Disk" button is located on the right-hand side of the window, unlike "Repair Disk Permissions", which is located on the left-hand side.
Sorry. That was a mistake. I actually did repair the disk. I messed up typing it there.

This is a space issue on your hard drive. The windows partition requires the amount of space that you demand, and the partitioning software (Boot Camp) can't supply it, because your hard drive is full enough so that much space is no longer contiguous. Here's what you can try: Launch Disk Utility, then select your hard drive. Click the Erase tab, then click Erase Free Space... Don't choose the mulitple-pass options (takes way too long, and won't help in this case), choose Zero out Deleted Files. Now try to partition with Boot Camp. If that doesn't help, then this is one of the limited times where deframentation will be useful. You can download something like iDefrag - http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php

I have seen that Boot Camp often won't make a partition if your drive is more than half full, or you are trying to partition more that half of the remaining space.

This is a space issue on your hard drive. The windows partition requires the amount of space that you demand, and the partitioning software (Boot Camp) can't supply it, because your hard drive is full enough so that much space is no longer contiguous. Here's what you can try: Launch Disk Utility, then select your hard drive. Click the Erase tab, then click Erase Free Space... Don't choose the mulitple-pass options (takes way too long, and won't help in this case), choose Zero out Deleted Files. Now try to partition with Boot Camp. If that doesn't help, then this is one of the limited times where deframentation will be useful. You can download something like iDefrag - http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php

I have seen that Boot Camp often won't make a partition if your drive is more than half full, or you are trying to partition more that half of the remaining space.
Will clicking "Erase Free Space" erase my data, or will I still have all my files?

No, it clears your free space - and won't affect your existing files in any way.
It won't always help with your Boot Camp problem, but might help.

Back