VGA madness

GUNDAM-RX78

Registered
Hi guys.

Wondering if you could tell me where im going wrong. I bought the "mini VGA" adapter to connect my imac g4 to my TV, I then bought the Yellow one pinned video cord and then the audio double headed red and white cord, got home inserted the VGA in the back and then the yellow cord into the VGA adapter and then the other end into the TV video 3 input on my TV, then ran the Audio cable from headphone jack into the other two slots remaining on the TV video 3 input. I then put on the TV and turned on to Video 3 and got a flickery snowy unviewable picture but got sound. Do you guys know what im doing wrong?

I tryed to play about with resoloution and nothing really changed.

Any help would be great thankyou.

you may want to try to change from PAL to NTSC or the other way. that worked for me the first time i wanted to connedt my iBook that way.. you can do this in the monitor pref-pane, either upper corner right or un system preferences..

although this might wotk, i suspect it is not this. for me this only helped me get colour, but i did have picture before i started messing about with the preferences.

2nd solution; get a adapter 3pin -> SCART. this gathers the signal(audio+picture) and it is much easier to find when yo search for the signal on yot TV. the AV-channel is usually the channel where the scart-signal shows up, often the channel below 0.

alex.

Thanks for the help alex but it doesnt really help me as I am not dealing with scart and this seems or is supposed to be the easiest way to do this......erm one more point of mention on the packet I just noticed that it is compatible for: 17 inch imac with mini vga port

I have the 15 inch imac g4 flat panel...not 17 inch, the confusing part is why do I have a mini VGA port if I cant use it?

I get sound and an impression of my desktop but blink and you miss it as it slides of the screen and comes back again at 100 miles an hour.

I have played with resoloutions and colours and no effect for as getting a decent picture is concerned.

My freind has a new G5 imac and his worked perfect using the same set up his is a 17 inch imac g5 though...is this the problem, if so any other way to get my tv to show my desktop?

Hi,
I had a similar problem with an eMac a while back. It turns out that the Mini-VGA to S-Video/Single-pin Video adapter only works with specific video cards, i think the ATI Radeons. It's possible you may have the Nvidia Video card, which does not allow this. Best thing to do is investigate this in terms of your graphics card. I had a rough time at the Apple centre trying to discover the root of my problem, and in the end it wasn't really documented anywhere - not on the packet or online. Bottom line is this: you may not have a compatible video card.
Sorry about the bad news. I eventually returned my original mac because of this.
Cheers.
SiR G

SiRGadaBout said:
Hi,
I had a similar problem with an eMac a while back. It turns out that the Mini-VGA to S-Video/Single-pin Video adapter only works with specific video cards, i think the ATI Radeons. It's possible you may have the Nvidia Video card, which does not allow this. Best thing to do is investigate this in terms of your graphics card. I had a rough time at the Apple centre trying to discover the root of my problem, and in the end it wasn't really documented anywhere - not on the packet or online. Bottom line is this: you may not have a compatible video card.
Sorry about the bad news. I eventually returned my original mac because of this.
Cheers.
SiR G

Dont know the video card for sure but in system profiler it says:

geforce 2 mx

do you think that because it says in the system profiler mirror-off that im not able to mirror my monitor on a tv?

This sucks I just payed out 70 dollars for wires adaptor and shit now its not gonna work............

I'm afraid that is an Nvidia graphics card (i just double-checked on Nvidia's site). I'm fairly sure that that makes you ineligible for Apple's Mini-VGA->S-Video/Single-Pin Video Adapter. Shame you had to find out this way. You should be able to get a refund as this is something that is not clearly documented - in fact as i noted earlier it took my local Apple centre some time to pin the blame on the graphics card - in the end it was an obscure, and EXTREMELY recent, addition to Apple's online documentation that confirmed it.
Hope you kept the receipt...
There are other options, but i think they're more expensive and complicated, involving VGA->SCART conversion. That's why I was so pleased to return my original Mac - I now have an iBook G4 which I made damn sure had an ATI card before purchasing.
All the best, and sorry for the bad news.
SiR G

Back