Virtual PC 7.0 out?

H2OSX

iKnow (sometimes)
I just got the new MacConnection magazine, and they are selling VPC 7.0, but when i went to the microsoft VPC site they had no mention of it. Just wondrin what you guys have heard.

Thnks-

It was suppose to come out the same time that Office 2004 came out but it was delayed. I think it has to do they are waiting for Microsoft Windows XP SP2 to be released (rumored to be released by the end of August).

I received an email today from Microsoft about my Office 2004 Pro upgrade. It stated the new ship date is 9/13/04. This upgrade in supose to include Virtual PC 7.0.

I think they would have announced it. Finally G5s would be able to run an x86 emulation, now that should be a big news..

Can I buy Virtual PC 7 as a stand alone product or do I have to buy the
whole MS Office X suite? Also, Does anyone know how good this virtual PC is?
Obviously I'm not thinking of running something like Photoshop on it.

As all office apps, you can buy each of them as a single software. Of course, the individual price of each apps in the bundle is lower than the unbundled.
From what I heard of beta testers, VirtualPC is not as fast as ppl were looking for. The 3d card should be supported, but doesn't really improve the overall speed. The only reason to buy the 7.0 version of VirtualPC is the compatibility to G5 processors. But as I mentioned before: this info came from some beta testers some time ago. Maybe they changed a lot by now.

H2OSX said:
I just got the new MacConnection magazine, and they are selling VPC 7.0, but when i went to the microsoft VPC site they had no mention of it. Just wondrin what you guys have heard.

Thnks-

You sure it isn't a pre-order?

Ailes Grise said:
Can I buy Virtual PC 7 as a stand alone product or do I have to buy the whole MS Office X suite? Also, Does anyone know how good this virtual PC is? Obviously I'm not thinking of running something like Photoshop on it.
All of these questions are answered in the MacNN report linked above. VPC 7 with Win XP SP2 will be shipped first as part of Office 2004 Professional. VPC 7 with other default OSes and standalone and upgrade versions of the emulator will ship later. What all of this tells me is that all of the fears about VPC 7's being tied to Win XP and other nonsense are totally unfounded. Your Linux-based virtual PC will continue to work just fine under VPC 7. Your sister's BeOS-based virtual PC will also continue to work.

Why would the standalone version ship *later*? Just put it out already... Some of us want to be able to USE the product...

Back