Virtual PC drag-and-drop file transfer to Windows XP?

blackoutspy

Registered
I read somewhere, i think it was here, that you can drag files from your mac, to the virtual windows XP you are running through Virtual PC. I can't figure out how to do this and would love if some one could point me in the right direction.

I am using Mac OS 10.3.2. I also have Virtual PC with Windows XP Pro. installed. I don't remember if I had to mess with any settings, however, all I have to do is make the PC window smaller than the whole screen, then just click the file on the Mac desktop, drag it over to the Windows desktop, and then release it. It is copied over to Windows. It's just that simple. Hope this helps!

Hmmm i have VPC5 and in the help it says all versions later then 4 can do it. And all it says it to just drag and drop, but when i do that, the file im dragging just snapps back to where it was, no transfer at all. Am i doing something wrong?

You need to install the "Virtual PC Additions" to be able to drag-and-drop between the Finder and whatever Windows OS you have installed in Virtual PC. I believe you can click on the last icon on the right at the bottom of the Virtual PC OS window (where the CD icon, floppy icon, USB icon, etc. are) and there should be an option to "Install additions" or something like that.

Ok, i've installed the additions, and i can now actualy move my mouse between the windows and mac without pressing a button, but i still can't drag and drop:-\

Sometimes it takes a second or two to kick in. Make sure when you drag from the Finder to Virtual PC that you pause over the window for a second before releasing te mouse button.

After installing the additions, it should work.

Back