Virtual PC files > MacOSX HD?

lylexf

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm a new user to the forums and the Apple platform (moved specifically for video editing with Final Cut Pro). I love my new machine so far (Powermac G4 Dual 1.8 processor running OSX10.3 Panther), but have run into a problem I'm hoping someone here won't mind helping me out with.

I have created a Virtual PC running Windows 98, which I needed to create files with a Windows application. Now I've got those files, I would like to work with them in OSX. But I don't know how to transfer/access them from the OSX platform. They must be accessible somewhere (I have 3x160gb harddrives running), and if anyone has any advice on how to proceed it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Lyle.

Virtual PC is incompatible with the G5 based Apples. This should change when ver. 7 is released, but they just delayed that.

mdnky said:
Virtual PC is incompatible with the G5 based Apples. This should change when ver. 7 is released, but they just delayed that.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Actually I am on a G4, but a Dual 1.42 machine and not the 1.8. Can you tell I've only been on the Apple platform a week? ;)

Anyway the VPC problem fixed itself. A Virtual Assistant Setup application automatically launched while I was in the middle of something, and asked me if I wanted to have drag-and-drop functionability between PCs. No idea why this didn't start up in the first place, but I won't complain as everything's to my liking now :)

Sorry for the mixup,
Lyle.

lylexf said:
... No idea why this didn't start up in the first place, but I won't complain as everything's to my liking now :) ...

Your Apple can read your mind and as soon as you thought about it it launched the app ... :confused:

lol
that happened to me to it wasnt untill the 5 or 6th time I was sing virtual PC that it launched assistant and placeda very hand start menu in the dock, it also made it easier to swith between VPC and other OS X apps!

In the settings for your Virtual PC there is a sharing option and you can choose to share any drive or folder on your Mac as if it were a PC drive mounted over the network. Then it is simply a matter of dragging the file from you C: drive to the shared drive on your Mac.

There is also an item to automatically share all the Mac drives when VPC starts up, but I am away from the computer with VPC at the moment and I don't recall where that is located.

You cannot do the drag and drop from the Mac side, because on the VPC side it is stored in a file that appears to Windows as if it were a FAT32 formatted disk drive. The Mac has no access to that "virtual drive" other than as the entire file in a single unit.

Back