Virtual PC is very slow in Mac OS X

imation3

Registered
I have a iMAC PowerPC G3 512MB OS X Version 10.1.4. I recently upgraded from Virtual PC 3.0 to Virtual PC 5.0. Problem is that that I can't do any thing in Virtual PC. Even opening My Computer window takes more than a minute. I have increased memory allocated to Virtual PC to 256 MB but it didn't make any difference. Under Mac OS 9.2, when I wanted to increase speed of virtual PC, I would increase memory assigned to it and it would make a huge difference. Doesn't seem to work under OS X. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Well, it's going to be slow on any G3 running OS X. It's even a bit slow on my G4.

There doesn't seem to be much you can do. Windows 95 and Windows 2000 Pro are the two fastes OSes, anything more or less is usually a lot slower, including Win Me, XP, 98, etc.

Make sure you're running the latest 5.0.2 update, that does help quite a bit.

And connectix.com has a guide on how to get the most speed out of VPC.. browse their help sites and forums.

There's nothing more you can really do except pray for faster updates in the future, and make sure you don't have too much running in the background in Windows, and quit all OS X apps while running VPC. Also, running VPC in full screen helps because it can draw to the screen faster (so they say).

Good luck!

I have noticed this as well, I dont jave any sugestions really but if you are going to be doing alot of work in virtual PC try starting up in OS 9. Its hell of alot faster that running it in X.

I've been using VPC5 and it works great. I've heard that the upgrades don't work so well, but I am a new user as of VPC 5.

So I'd reccomend building a new machine under 5 and see if that helps the speed issue...

I use VPC5 on an iBook with 384MB RAM and don't have any problems. Yeah, it is slow, but I have recently been coding up on Visual Studio and have SQL Server 7.0 running without too many speed problems. I did create all the PCs from scratch and did not upgrade any.

R.

5.0 is dog slow

5.0.1 is faster

5.0.2 is nearly as fast or even as fast as in OS 9, since Apple developers helped Connectix, which claimed that the problem is the OS X architecture itself, so Apple send a team to show them some undocumented tricks (at least thats what the connectix guys say in the forum) and it runs REALLY great. Win95/98/ME/2K run as smooth as in OS 9, XP is a bit slower

It was worth it to me just to go to frys and build a cheap base PC. you dont even need a monitor just base everything. And then network them. When you need it just switch the monitor.

Originally posted by egilDOTnet
Can I have virtualPC take up my additional monitor fullscreen? That would be sooooo sweet!

Go into your Windows configuration panel and set the resoulution to the physical size of your screen. I've got an iMac TFT and I set Windows XP to run at 1024x768 and it's funnscreen.

PS it'll be WAY SLOWER if you do to that though, so don't. Also hit COMMAND-RETURN to make it 'fullscreen', which just means it maintains the screen size but centers it and blacks out the desktop and dock.

Don't forget that VPC EMULATED a processor, not an easy thing to do. I've got the following drives, sorted in order of speediest OS to least:

1. Windows NT 4
2. Windows 2000
3. RedHat 6.1 / GNOME
1000000. Windows XP

Windows XP is intensely slow, it's not even funny. I've got 512 physical allocated to it, and yar, slow. But like I said, whatcha gonna do it IS windows...

I remember using a Mac OS 7.0 emulator for Windows 3.1, YIKES let's not even start that one... PS That means Mac OS emulated environment within Windows 3.1

Virtual PC *ZOOOMS* blindingly fast for me.. now that I've installed Windows 3.1 :p

Really, I did. I found some Win 3.1 disks that I could download and installed it. It goes pretty fast, of course I can't do anything useful, though :D

Originally posted by Gwailo

1. Windows NT 4
2. Windows 2000
3. RedHat 6.1 / GNOME
1000000. Windows XP

I have a question: I tried installing both Mandrake Linux (can't remember the version) and RedHat Enigma (7.2) and both couldn't install since they were unable to see the partitions. Do you know if this is due to the 2.x Kernel? I saw that you run RH 6.1, did it install fine? If yes, does anyone know where I can get an older RH version?

Anybody tried SuSE Linux on VPC???

thanx for help!

Back