volume structure failed?? HELP!

PowermacG4_450

OS X Jaguar
several questions here, regarding drive utilities under x. HELP!

Ive got drive 10, norton beta, and tech tool pro. drive 10 and tech tool both report that my "volume structure failed", whatever that means.

It failed on my X harddrive, the 9 hard drive seems fine? :(

??? in all my years using macs, never had this problem until X.

what does this mean? what do I do? is my data at risk? is my computer gonna blow up?

which utility is best for X? should I use them all, or just one?

thanks for any insight. :)

I have seen the same symptoms you have described using Drive 10 utility. At first, I was concerned so I installed and ran DiskWarrior out of the Classic parition. It cleaned things up and then I backed the OSX parition to a CD. I noticed the other day when I ran Drive 10 again, the same thing. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems...........so not to worry. I suspect it is more of a problem with Drive 10 then any thing else.

using tech tool, I booted in 9, and tested my X drive.... same error again, this time I chose to fix. tech tool crashed, didnt finish the job.

I sometimes wonder how accurate these utility programs are.

if i was you, i'd reboot in single-user mode (press apple-s after the bong), and then on prompt, type fsck -y. repeat fsck -y until you're told the volume seems to be okay, that ought to do the job.
no idea what the damaged volume structure thing is, i've had it a couple of times, running fsck -y always cleaned it up for me... i can tell you though that norton utilities is next to useless when you've got os x installed as it can't recognise unix file structure and will come up with wrong results, and i certainly would never use a beta on my harddisk ... tech tool and drive 10 have worked perfectly for me, disk warrior seems a bit patchy, often works, but has been weird at times, like when defragging ...
best of all rely on th system to sort itself out with fsck -y or reboot from the installer cd and run first aid ...:)

... yep, it's a unix command that basically does what disk first aid would do, so there's nothing to worry about. it cleans up file and folder structure and so on ... quite safe. :D

Back