wacky mouse problem

cre8iveken

Registered
Every few minutes, my cursor moves suddenly across the screen in an unrelated movement to the mouse. It's driving me crazy. It's an optical mouse. Does anybody else have this problem?

Could be a problem with the Apple Pro mouse, at least that's the only one I had the problem with, ever thought of getting a Microsoft/Logitech/Macally/Kensington mouse? 2 buttons are better than one...

I can imagine the transparent design of the Apple Pro mouse may have something to do with this, a design flaw from Apple's part.

Can seems weird but what kind of mouse pad or desk surface do you have?

Because my optical mouse do not support mouse pads with too many color
details.. Have you tried change the status of whats under your mouse?

-Sighter

Yeah, I've had frustrations with Apple's Pro Mouse…
But I get wierd things happening every once in a while with my Logitech scroll mouse. I think it's an inherant thing with opticals.

The surface below is more important than I had hoped it would be when I first heard of these new fangled devices - but in practice, I still have a mouse pad under the red gleam.

My mouse issues were cleared up when i printed off a picture of clouds and used that as my surface. I had a black mouse pad and it sucked big time. One color mouse pads didn't work for me at all. Also, on my TiBook, i keep hitting the trackpad with my arm. That makes the mouse jump around. I wish i could turn off the trackpad when a mouse is pluged in. But i haven't seen that option yet.

Twister

Originally posted by cre8iveken
Every few minutes, my cursor moves suddenly across the screen in an unrelated movement to the mouse. It's driving me crazy. It's an optical mouse. Does anybody else have this problem?
I had the same problems with several Microsoft Intellimouse Explorers. The problem has always been wires breaking in the top of the mouse causing erradic operations (pointer jumping around or flying off to one end of the screen) then working fine again. Replacing the mouse is usually the best bet unless you are handy with a soldering iron.

Since your problem is with an optical mouse, consider that with any electronic device, there is inherent signal to noise ratio. Perhaps the mouse is experiencing noise problems with its optical detector. Could also be reflections changing with thermal expansion and contraction. Also, might be that you have a real mouse inside that piece of plastic, and it's just hunger. When was the last time you fed it? If this problem persists, take the mouse firmly in your hand (the plastic one), and hit it very hard several times against the desk. This should prevent any further optical abnormalities with the detector. The mouse might be brojen at this point, but it won't skip around the screen anymore.

lol

yeah, I'd suggest getting a macally icemouse, they're really great and look as cool as the apple mice. also try changing the mouse pad (like practically everyone else said :rolleyes:)

Back