Warning: Dreamweaver 2004 & Flash 2004

habilis

Ministry of Re-Education
[RANT]
Are terribly slow compared to the last versions. And now they've changed the locations of all the stuff around that you've gotten used to like insert keyframes and timeline events to make it more friendly for beginners - how nice. Even on a Dual 2GHz G5 I am so frusterated at the sluggishness of the "improved" programs I want to pull my hair out. Total thumbs down. Yes, the new flash plays faster when exported from 2004 but that's where the improvement ends for me. Macromedia blew it this time. Don't buy it, you will be disappointed for sure.
[/RANT]

I hear you... I had this rant when they came out at the end of last. I tested the trial version of DWMX 2004, FWMX 2004, and Flash MX 2004 (which was the only one worthy of an upgrade). Absolutely nothing grabbed me as being essential for an upgrade (in DW and FW)... sure, the interfaces had been polished up.

But, the new CSS features in DW dogged the application, to the point of being unusable.

Hence, I decided not to upgrade, and instead, even stopped using MX and started hand-coding in BBEdit. Glad to say, I'll never look back. :)

I did not think Flash MX 2004 was that slow at all. I guess my powerbook is just super fast. :rolleyes:

*give GoLive a try!*

Flash MX is the only one that works well for me. However i see no real reason to upgrade to it. Yet.

Yep, like I said, Flash MX 2004 was not only the least sluggish for me, but actually had some decent features to upgrade for. Was disappointed to go back to straight MX to be honest... but not with DW and FW.

Speaking of which, the only thing that was decent (for me) in FWMX 2004 was the ability to save your file in the format you opened in (as opposed to everything being saved as a png). Personally, I would count this as a update feature (i.e. FWMX.5 or whatever). Never happened though did it.

My new technique is to create my flash in MX, save it, then open it in MX 2004 just to export into a .swf file since the new player runs smoother and faster.

I've been using the MX2004 trials for DW & FW on my iBook (G3 900) with no problems for the past week. In fact, it's much faster under 10.3.2 on my iBook (256mb ram currently) than the Win version was when I tested them 2 months ago on a Dell laptop (PIII 700 128mb ram XP Pro) and Dell desktop (P4 1.6 512mb ram XP Home). The Dell laptop was already hurting just trying to run the OS, but the desktop shouldn't have had that many problems. MX on the beige is a dog, always has been but never anything unusable.

The only time I've noticed a problem is on start-up of the apps, it just takes a bit longer than I'd expect. Once they're running, no problems. Very rarely it takes a few seconds to switch between apps, but considering I always have 12 or so programs opened and it's only running on 256mb ram I don't see it as being anything unacceptable. Hopefully UPS will deliver that 512mb chip soon.

The only major headache is trying to preview pages in Safari, just doesn't want to do it for some reason. IE and Firebird work right though. Other than that I usually always use the code view in DW, but the times I've switched back to the design view everything seems to be pretty snappy.

Back