Weird wifi connection problem with mac mini

stustaff

Registered
My first post and its a call for help :( Ive had a look around and cant see anything that seems to match this issue.

I have a Mac mini set up and connected wirelessly to a Orange wireless router and using a online speedtest about 20 times over 3 days get average connection showing of just under 1Mbps.

When i try the same test on my iBook i get around 4Mbps, on my dell mini I also get 4mbps.

So I assumed it was a problem with the wireless reception where the mini is situated, so I connected it via ethernet cable and got... the same result, under 1Mbps.

any suggestions on this as I am cluelsess and dont even know where to start?

the reason all this came to light is I bought a NAS and can stream vidseo fine to everything but the Mini!

Thanks
Oh also is there a guide anywhere for the best/proper way to set up NAS sharing with macs? just bought a buffalo linkstation and manual isnt that detailed for the mac, and there doesnt seem to be much online.

Does this occur under ALL user accounts? Create a new user account and see if this helps.

Does this occur if you boot from a different OS X installation (perhaps one on an external hard drive)? Might tell you if something with your installation is borked.

What speed are you reporting for your wireless connection in the Network Utility application?

Do you have any add-ons, haxies, or application enhancers installed? Packet sniffing? Anything that may be interfering with proper network operation? Or is this a "virgin" installation of OS X?

What is the frequency of the Mac Mini can read and what is the frequency (a, b, g or n) the wireless router is transmitting, with what security on it?

Thanks guys, Satcomer I'll have to check that tonight.

Eldiablo they seem solid suggestions it isnt a 'virgin' install its at least 3 years old with a new version of 'leopard installed last month. Ill try an install to a spare HD and test using that it seems a sensible try to eliminate hardware etc.

Ok Speed test now good scoring very similiar to laptops during 10 straight tests.However NAS connection runs much slower on Mini compared to laptops?

EG plex will play movie stiored on NAS fine on laptop not on mini.

other apps and downloading files also slower here by at leat 60%, also the share does not show up in desktop like it does on my other Macs.

on other macs I get a blue drive on desktop, on my mini I get nothing added to desktop but can browse to the NAS via Finder.

Is there anyway to reset how the mini treats the NAS so as to start from scratch, I may have set it up incorrectly on first use.

On the Mini open System Preferences->Network and make sure the Airport is at the top of the left hand column. Then at the top of the pane there is the "Location" bar. Use the "Location" pull-down and make a new custom Location (calling it what you want) and then at the bottom of the Network window hit the "Apply" button and rejoin you home wireless network. Sometimes I think the "Automatic" location (in Network) is broken.

Sorted it! Thanks Satcomer found a few little weird things in my setup that removing everything and setting up seems to have fixed.

What had happend was either I or the Mini on first connection had added the NAS via AFP: so by deleting that connection and manually setting it up as an SMB share via 'go' it all works now.

Back