What and how do you virtualize?

How do you virtualize on your Mac, and what OS do you run in them?

• I use only OS X, no virtualization and no Boot Camp or me

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Boot Camp

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • VMware Fusion

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Parallels

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Other emulation - please tell

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I also run Windows on my Mac

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I also run Linux on my Mac

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I also run Solaris on my Mac

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I also run *BSD on my mac

• I also run something else on my Mac - please tell

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Giaguara

Chmod 760
Staff member
Mod
How do you virtualize .. or what other than Mac OS X do you run on your Mac?

Boot Camp, Fusion, Parallels or something else?
And what are the other operating systems you are using on the Mac?

I use BootCamp and Parallels. I love the fantastic integration of Parallels.

I'll give Fusion a try if the feedback from the field remains so good when it is in final version.

I use Parallels for small activities (a short try with IE or other similar). And I use BootCamp for gaming (IL2 - Pacific Fighters).

Gia, would you mind making the individual votes public ?

1.0 is the 'final' or the full release version .. :)

I've got Fusion on most Macs (well, home only one Mac for me) and Boot Camp on one at work. Windows XP on all for boring stuff, Ubuntu on some, Ubuntu Ultimate on one of them, and different versions on different Macs then - FreeBSD, PCBSD, Solaris 10, even Solaris 8, DSL, Debian ... tested even some things with Minix .. and occasionally some appliances too, so Tomcat, ISA Server .. usually around 3-5 systems in total on each.

So, home at the moment I've got XP Pro, Ubuntu Ultimate, PCBSD, Solaris, and Damn Small Linux. Those are all stable so don't really 'need' another but I guess the distros are like pokemons .. gotta try them all :p

- good idea for making votes public but how do I do that? I didn't see an option for it.

Argh.. that options is out there only when you create the poll. :(

So I guess just post closest options and then comment on details.

I voted "I use only OS X" and also "Other emulation". Forgive the contradiction, but they both seemed to apply.

Most of the time, I use only OS X. Right now that's all I have on my Mac. A few times per year I pull out Virtual PC (with Windows 98) to test some Windows apps I've created with REALbasic.

Oh, and does Classic count? I don't use it much these days, but I do use it more than Windows, anyway.

When I get an Intel Mac I'll probably go hog wild with other OSes. I figure I'll put on Windows XP, some type of Linux (probably Ubuntu), and MenuetOS (for kicks :)).

Parallels with WinXtraPainful

I use it for two programs - a timetabler for scheduling, and Access for a report card generator that I made years ago on a PC. One of these days I'll get off my duff and re-write it in Filemaker.

I may toss it soon though - when I try to open an office document created in Windows, Parallels boots and launches Word or Excel even though I have Office 2k4 on the MacBook.

Mac OS X and Parallels/WinXP. Mainly for testing stuff in Windows browsers plus one English Grammar test application I need for the private tutoring I do. Wish they'd make that for Mac, though, and in a better way. That app sucks.

VirtualBox with Windows XP on it and Ubuntu Linux. Yes yes, I can partition my drive to install these natively with Bootcamp but then I'm too lazy :)

p.s. This is my 2nd VB post in a few minutes. I don't work for them. Honest!

Since my iMac G5 is PPC-based, my only options are emulation using Q. Aside from that, I also have it dual-booting Kubuntu 7.04. I may eventually put Slackintosh on it as Kubuntu just bores me. :p

Back