What causes harddrive crashes?

Essex

Registered
Hi everyone,

I bought a Macbook a few months ago, and imagine my horror when the entire harddrive crashed just a few weeks ago. I have a new harddrive now, but I'm constantly worried that this could happen again. My question to anybody is, what causes a harddrive to crash? Is it usually just a faulty drive, or could I have done something to it? I did add new RAM to my machine after buying it. Could faulty RAM screw over a harddrive? I bought Kingston RAM, which I think is an ok brand.

So, does anyone have any any what causes a fairly new harddrive to go completely dead? Thanks!

My question to anybody is, what causes a harddrive to crash? Is it usually just a faulty drive, or could I have done something to it? I did add new RAM to my machine after buying it. Could faulty RAM screw over a harddrive? I bought Kingston RAM, which I think is an ok brand.

So, does anyone have any any what causes a fairly new harddrive to go completely dead? Thanks!

A harddrive can simply fail for some random hardware cause. It's a big headache to reinstall everything, but nothing else you can do then.
The fact that you installed other memory could be relevant, but usually wouldn't cause a hard drive to fail directly.
Your strange video problem that you see intermittently might be due to some memory slightly out of tolerance.
Again, you should boot to your Apple Hardware test, and see if any errors show up.
If you don't know about that test - you will see it listed on the label of one of your restore disks that came with your MacBook. There's simple instructions for booting to that test on the label. Basically, reboot with that disk in the drive - while holding the D key. You'll see the test. You can choose to do an extended test.

Back