What I want...any suggestions?

jove

I like the dock but...

I have modes of use where there are several applications I want to use at one time.

Everyday: Safari, Mail, Sherlock, Address Book, iCal, ToDo, iTunes, Terminal

Video Editing: iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, MacOSaiX, Photo to Movie, Graphic Converter

Productivity: Office Suite, Text Edit, Mail, Safari, Graffle

I do not want to clutter the Dock with all those apps. I don't want to even see the icon of Photo to Movie when I am not video editing.

What do you recommend I do?

Originally posted by bobw
You could use DockExtender or you could put aliases of the programs into a new folder and put the folder in the Dock.
This isn't a Dock thing, but there is something called Fruit Menu that looks like it does the same thing DockExtender does...

The only difference is that it extends the functionality of the Apple Menu vs. the Doc.

I guess I like Fruit Menu because it is more Mac OS 9-like... Once I put this on my Mom's Mac OS X eMac she instantly was much more comfortable moving around OS X. :)

I just use different folders in the dock for different kinds of apps. If I'm doing audio recording/mixing/editing I go to that folder. If I want games, I select that folder, if I want internet or office stuff I go to that folder. Couldn't be easier.

I've been considering using dock extender or something along those lines, but for now I seem to be doing okay with what I'm using.

Like WavesLA I have (15) different folders full of aliases for each category of application I use - except that in my case all these category folders are in a folder called "LAUNCHER" and I just keep this one folder - with a pretty icon - in the Dock.

What 15 categories could there be, you ask?

AUDIO
DESKTOP
DEVELOPER
EMULATORS
GAMES
GRAPHICS
INTERNET
LAYOUT
OFFICE
SCIENCE
TEXT
UNIX
UTILITIES
VIDEO
WEBKIT

Well, I suppose LAYOUT could merge with GRAPHICS... and DESKTOP and TEXT could merge with OFFICE, but you get the idea.

What I'd like to see implemented is a nicely designed Dock item that would pop up a surface that looks and acts just like the Dock - only it would be perpendicular to the Dock.

Back