What would I need to connect a 17" CRT monitor with a 20" Cinema Display?

freaky

OSXer
I'm planning on getting a G5 with a 20" Cinema Display and would like to hook up a 17" CRT monitor so I could have dual monitors. On the apple store, they have a Belkin ADC-DVI adapter that is required with a second monitor. Is this what I would need in order to hook up an additional CRT?

Or, is there already two ports in the video cards that come with the G5s so dual monitors can be hooked up?

two ports, yes.

my guess is that they are both ADC, though, so you might have to get one of those adapters anyway, but the card is already pre-equipped with two 'out's..

.a

G5s ship with video cards including 1-ADC and 1-DVI connections. Both can be used for dual monitor setups. Your 20" cinema will connect directly to the DVI connection. Your new G5 will include a DVI-VGA adapter. Depending on which type of connection will be on your second display, you will need an ADC-DVI or ADC-VGA adapter, so you should verify the connector available on the CRT display.
(If you order a G5 with the new NVIDIA gForce 6800 series cards, then the ports are both DVI.)

It depends on what kind of connector the CRT and the Studio Display have. All the graphics card options on the G5 have one DVI port and one ADC port, with the exception of the two GeForce 6800 cards (they have two DVI ports).

If your 20" Studio Display has a DVI connector and your CRT has a VGA connector, then you'll need the DVI-to-ADC connector. With this setup, your 20" LCD will go on the DVI-to-ADC adaptor into the graphic card's ADC port, and you'll use the VGA-to-DVI adaptor (which is included with the computer) on the CRT, connecting it to the DVI port.

What kind of connectors do both your monitors have?

newest apple displays use dvi and not adc. hooking any kind of display is possible though. all you need is the right adapter. you would need adc to vga for the crt since the 20" will go on the dvi. it may come with the adapter..

I assume there are adc to vga adapters yes?

so this means that this poor guy has to use 2 adapters? thats crap! he will need adc to dvi that comes with it to hook the 20" and then a dvi to vga also? I guess apple forgets that people still use crt's. I feel they are far superior displays to lcd. high end crt's anyway..

So the only thing I would need to buy is the $17.10 Apple DVI to VGA Display Adapter to plug into the 2nd port on the video card correct? My plug for the CRT I believe has 7 pins at the top and 6 on the bottom (Mitsubishi DiamondTron 19").

No, he can go either way -- with two adaptors (one of which is included with the PowerMac G5): VGA-to-DVI and DVI-to-ADC, or one adaptor: VGA-to-ADC. It just depends on what's cheaper.

The VGA-to-DVI connector is included with the G5, and then he'd have to get a DVI-to-ADC adaptor; or, he could use the 20" with the DVI port and then get a VGA-to-ADC adaptor, but I think those are more expensive than the DVI-to-ADC adaptors -- so using two adaptors may be cheaper.

It all depends... he's got a lot of options, but may need to research a little about the various connectors he has to determine what the best setup would be.

Dr. Bott sells a lot of adaptors for monitors:
http://www.drbott.com

...and so does Geffen:
http://www.gefen.com

Back