Whats with the iPod 1.2.1 update?

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
Software Update just launced and said there is an iPod update to version 1.2.1. The list of changes doesn't sound like anything new though :confused:

iPod Software 1.2.1 adds significant enhancements and new features to iPod. Some features require iTunes 3 or later. To get the latest version of iTunes, go to www.apple.com/itunes/download.
– Audio playback and user interface improvements
– Browse music by additional categories, including albums, genres, and composers
– Support for iTunes 3 Sound Check, which automatically adjusts for drastic differences in volume between different songs for a more consistent listening experience
– Calendar -- display industry standard iCalendar appointments and alarms
– Clock -- view the date and time
– Battery icon now correctly indicates a full charge
– Connection feedback on the iPod screen, indicating when it's safe to unplug the FireWire cable
– Support for Audible™ audiobooks and audio programs

my iPod already does all this stuff....I just want it to display the damn clock near the battery indicator :mad:

also, after I clicked install, it downloaded it, said it installed it, but the iPod still says version 1.2.

the 1.2 thing is just cause it's not a major update and the rest probably improves the iPod so that it does the right thing under obscure circumstances

yeah, but it's strange, i thought europeans had 1.2.2 update already... :/ and suddenly, this crops up in SU.

i've had 1.2.1 on my iPod for months now.... i think you may have missed that update or something is screwy with SU.

All:
When the updater was first released it was a stand-alone downoad. Unless you installed it in /Applications/Utilities, Software Update will think you need it.

Fahrvergnuugen:
When you clicked "Install" in SU, it installed the updater on your machine locally, not on your iPod. Navigate to /Applications/Utilities. There should be a folder titled iPod Software 1.2.1 Updater here. The 1.2.1 updater is in this folder. Upon launching this updater you can choose to "Upgrade" or "Restore" your iPod's firmware. I prefer to choose the "Restore" option personally, just to eliminate any potential bugs that "Upgrading" may cause. Of course this involves having to restore your mp3s, but with FireWire it's a snap!. After doing so your iPod should report firmware version 1.2.1.

Actually when you launch the Updater it should tell you the current version installed and you can then determine whether or not you need to run it.

I'm certain I got that update months ago through Software Update. And now I've got it again, too :confused:

i cheked apple.de and they have 1.2.2 so does anyone know why euro's have 1.2.2 and we have 1.2.1 ?

Originally posted by DualG4X
i cheked apple.de and they have 1.2.2 so does anyone know why euro's have 1.2.2 and we have 1.2.1 ?

French laws allow music players with sound levels up to 100 dB, while the iPod was measured 104 and was therefore illegal. So Apple made an update especially for the european market to lower the sound level and make it comply with french laws. So there's absolutely no point in installing that update ;)

Originally posted by plastic
Still waiting to fix the battery indicator "bug".

i never had this problem until i updated the firmware on my iPod. the original firmware that came on it [20gb] worked flawless :confused:

Same problem here. After a full charge, my iPod's battery indicator will show a depleted level. After several minutes, the battery indicator will show a full charge.

The battery indicator worked fine with my iPod's original firmware (v1.2). After installing v1.2.1 (which Apple claims to resolve the problem), the problem actually appears. How ironic.

Back