where to find printer setup utility?

dlbk

Registered
Hi -

I think I may have inadvertently trashed my printer setup utility icon in my apps/utility folder. How do I recreate it so I can print again?

Thanks,
Deb

Thanks for admitting you might have deleted it. I'm a bit more willing to help you now. What OS X version are you using?

The old memory isn't what it used to be. Don't be too hard on us old folks. :) My apologies. I'm using 10.3.9.

The good news is you can probably solve your problem by downloading the 10.3.9 Combo (Combination) Updater from Apple and re-updating with that. I believe Printer Setup Utility is included in that.

Then, go to (open) Printer Setup and click ADD, then choose Epson USB and finish adding your printer.

I downloaded the 10.3.9 combo last week, installed, but there was no printer setup in my apps folder after the inistall. I was hoping it would be there.
I downloaded Pacifist last night and will explore that further when I get home tonight.

Yes - usually there in earlier versions. It's missing in my folder and I'm trying to figure out how to replace it.

Thanks Bob -
I downloaded Pacifist last night, but wasn't sure what to do after installing. (Didn't realize I needed to insert OS disk). I've upgrade recently to 10.3.9 from the disk (I think it's 10.2.8) - will inserting the 10.2.8 disk to grab the printer setup utility affect my recent upgrade?

OK - so last night I inserted the OS disk that came with my iMac, opened Pacifist, but the Apple Install option was grayed out. Read the instructions that come with Pacifist, opened the Epson package on the OS disk and dragged to Pacifist, but still no Printer setup in my utilities folder. (the printer utility is there).
I'm not sure what to do at this point. Bummed that it looks like I won't be able to print out Christmas gift photos and CD labels. I don't get why, after reloading OS software (I also upgraded to 10.3.9, 2 weeks ago) the setup utility isn't there?
Very confused!

You don't use the Epson package.

Open Pacifist inserting all the discs when asked to.

When done, click the Contents of OSInstall.mpkg - then Contents Of EssentialSystemSoftware.mpkg - then Contents of Essentials.pkg.

Open the Utilities folder in there.
Scroll down to Print Center.app and Highlight it, then click the extract icon at top.

>>When done, click the Contents of OSInstall.mpkg - then Contents Of EssentialSystemSoftware.mpkg - then Contents of Essentials.pkg.<<

In Pacifist instructions, it says to drag packages to it's window - is that what you mean by above?

I'm sure this is not a difficult thing, but I'm so darned right brain and get a bit dyslexic reading instructions. ( I tend to see things in visual formats) Bear with me and thanks for your continued support!

Deb

NO

Open Pacifist. You'll have to buttons you can click. Use the Apple Install packages button and follow with my instructions.

As I mentioned, the Apple Install button is greyed out. Is there a way to activate it? It remained grey after OS disk was inserted.

The first 10.3 disc has to be in the drive to be able to click the Apple Install Packages.

Hmmm - I wonder if that is the problem? (why the Apple Instal button is grey) I have only the original 10.2.8 disk that came with the computer. The 10.3.9 was downloaded to a CD and then I installed off that. (I have dial up and the upgrade to 10.3.9 was too large to download directly). Would it work to insert the disk I burned? I didn't try that.

If you're running 10.3.9, how did you install that.

You need to buy 10.3 to install. It's not a free upgrade.

I don't have the disk I burned with me and searched a bit on he Apple software site, but no luck. I may have downloaded something that isn't what I thought. Oy. By the time I finish here my computer will be one lovely mess. Should I trash everything and start new, as though I just took the Mac out of the box?

Well, 10.3 was not free from Apple or anywhere else. So if you downloaded it somewhere, it's illegal.

Maybe starting from scratch with a valid disc would be a good idea.

I got the download off the Apple site, so I guess I grabbed the wrong thing. I'll check and see what's on my hard drive tonight from that install. So we'll stick with the 10.2.8, but I'm curious why the Apple button on the pacifist window is greyed out.

I had also contacted Epson, thinking it was a printer issue and they sent me a long e-mail with instructions to completely remove and reinstall a downloaded driver for the printer in OSX.4. (though I'm not running OSX.4)

From what I understand now, the print setup is hiding somewhere on my OS.2 disk.

Back